Friday, June 26, 2015

Week Twenty Six: The Descendant: Guidance

  Apates cackled in the night. Darkness spread over the path in which the daughter of Aletheia would take. Darkness. Madness. Scorn. The child would travel alone and only fall to her own deception. Dolas had no particular reason to hate the Goddess of truth or her descendant but Dolas did love to trick and what Apates assigned him to do only lifted his spirits.

  Pseudologoi were placed for her eyes and some were assigned to him as well. Apates hoped Dolas would finish the girl but if not, Apates knew what needed to be done. Gaea had fallen and now she could strike without supervision. It felt glorious to be free again. Not only in the night but in broad daylight.

  Dolas happily set out his route. A little magic here, a couple of monsters there. Perfect! He thought to himself as he laughed his nights away. The girl was foolish to go alone and now she would regret it. Nothing could save her. Not even the son of Hades that she had wrapped around her finger.
--

  Prometheus scowled as he placed the book down gently then exclaimed in anger. Why must his favorite character die? Why must a book written with such sophistication end with such horror? He was frustrated. Behind him were stacks of books and in front of him were more. He had to read the following book. Although his favorite character died, he mustn’t give into his ferocity. He had years to complain, now wasn’t the time.

  A shimmer lit up the room. In annoyance, Prometheus glanced up and marked his place. In front of him was his daughter. Scowling, he turned back to his book.

  “Father.” Aletheia protested.

  “Are you not believed to be my child?” Prometheus grunted. “Are you not supposed to be the daughter of Zeus and Hera?” He complained. “Why must you bother me? I am engrossed in enlightenment.”

  “You’re always engrossed in enlightenment.” Aletheia sighed. She didn’t need her truth telling skills to know that.

  “My daughter is looking for you.” Aletheia said, making Prometheus shut his book abruptly.
  Prometheus rolled his eyes. “I have no time to play your hide-and-go-seek-game daughter. I am busy and I rather not be disturbed for another millennium.”

  “She won’t come alone.” Aletheia continued, ignoring her father’s complaints. “I hope she can break you from this spell better than I can. You chose wrong, father, in the last Titan war. I hope you do not do this once more.”

  Prometheus laughed aloud. “Oh?”! He exclaimed. “And I suppose you were somewhere to be found oh truth teller. You see, daughter of mine, you had to get your hiding abilities from someone.” He smirked. “And that someone is me.”

  Aletheia frowned. “Father, the world is in need of your assistance. Apates…”

  “Bah!” Prometheus exclaimed. “Apates! Why do you fear Apates my dear? The truth holds more power over lies.”

  “Father, while the truth may be a sword of brutal force, lies are of a dagger, which, if used correctly can take out what strength truth brings.”

  “Bah.” Prometheus replied again. “Of course, daughter of mine. So I know this. And?”

  Aletheia sighed again. “Father, this is the first battle of many. Do you wish to stand by and do nothing once again? Have you not seen what has happened in the past couple of years?”

  Prometheus smirked. “You mean Gaea?” He snorted. “Once she took over the world all I would have to do is make more people. Stronger people.” He shrugged. “Maybe give them more knowledge than I had the first time.”

  Aletheia smirked. “Father.”

  “Daughter of mine.” Prometheus grunted. “Have you read the works of the world? These…” He pointed at a stack in front of him. “Graphic Novels as they call them.” He grinned. “Even without color they are quite entertaining. I suggest you read them some time.”

  Aletheia shook her head. “You speak the truth only for yourself.”

  “And you speak the truth of the world. Of course. That’s what I made you for.” He smiled. “Now, run along now daughter of mine. I have more important matters to attend to.”

  With this Aletheia approached her father and opened up her hands in front of her as if they were a book. In the white mist, Prometheus sighed and looked into it. There, tossing and turning were two children of the same age. One, he guessed was his granddaughter. The other, he did not know.

  “Do you wish for a sleep remedy?” Prometheus shrugged. “Why are you showing me this?”

  Aletheia was silent as she gazed at her father. “On the right is my daughter, Elli Triad.”

  “And on the left?” He asked more to get Aletheia on with the program so he could get back to his novel.

  “Her enemy.” Aletheia smirked.

  Raising an eyebrow, Prometheus looked up at Aletheia who stared blankly back at her father.

  “Ah, so it seems, her ‘enemy’.” He nodded. “And I care…” He paused and gave a shrug. “Why?”

  “Apates is not only my enemy she is yours father. They want you sealed away so you cannot advance humanity.” Aletheia explained.

  Prometheus laughed. “Then why pursue me?” He shook his head. “Trickery and deception can only go so far…” He smiled. “It’s almost amusing.”

  “Because they want to seal you away for good.” Aletheia replied simply.

  Prometheus touched his heart and looked at Aletheia with compassionate eyes. “Oh? So my daughter cares enough to quest her daughter to find me so I can be taken out for good?” Prometheus nodded at this. “I’m sooo touched, darling.”

  Aletheia shook her head. “She is not to find you.” She replied shaking her head. “She is to fight her enemy and that is all.”

  “Oh?” Prometheus said in surprise. He honestly thought she wanted him to do something about this granddaughter of his.

  “Then what is it you want from me deary?”

  “Nothing.” Aletheia sighed. “I’m warning you of the danger you’re in if she is defeated is all. Some guidance may help her.”

  Prometheus shrugged. “Does she read?”

  Aletheia looked back at her father in confusion. “This is a personal question I haven’t asked her.”

  “Ah.” Prometheus nodded. “Of course. Because you haven’t asked much of her.” He smiled. “I’ll help her if you wish.” He paused. “But under one condition.”

  Aletheia turned towards her father.

  “She must find my help on her own. I do not wish to have a granddaughter of ignorance or stupidity.” He remarked sternly.

  Aletheia nodded. “She’ll learn on her own. With her power as advanced as it is, there’s hardly anything she can’t grasp.”

  With that, Prometheus grinned and Aletheia turned her back on her father. With a flash of white she disappeared leaving Prometheus to think to himself for a moment before opening up his book to read once more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment