Sunday, July 6, 2014

Week Fourteen: Scourges of the North Part One

Scourges of the North
Original Story Recorded in:
The Enchanted World
 Water Spirits

  Mikey fidgeted with his fingers as he stared out the window. Vile and Xeq were gone for a total of four days now. This night would be leaking into the fifth. Opening up his window, Mikey sat on the window frame and looked down. He wanted to jump but was afraid. He had never transformed in midair but he was worried about the two.
  Inside, Mikey knew that didn’t need to. His lime green eyes shimmered. All around him a new color spectrum arose. It was a wonder why he didn’t get a headache. On normal circumstances it seemed logical to receive a headache from the view. Mikey’s hearing escalated. He could hear his mother weeping in her room on the opposite side their house. He wanted to go to her but knew why she wept.  
  His father defended him. He spoke of good intentions and the process of growing up. “Olivia,” Mikey could hear his father’s voice clearly. “Mikey is at that age where he’s going through changes.” His father’s voice was sympathetic.
  “Jack.” His mother’s voice tampered with tears. “He murdered another boy. With….” His mother’s voice trailed off.
  “Acid?” His father’s voice was questionable. Mikey knew that he couldn’t believe it either but his father tried his best to take Mikey’s side.
  “Yes!” Mikey’s mother exclaimed in confusion. “How do you bloody explain that, Jack?”! He exclaimed. “Acid!” He said choking on her own tears.
  Mikey’s eyes brimmed with tears. He wanted to tell his mother but couldn’t bare her reaction. It had been a few weeks and every night was the same. Tears, comforting, confusion. And yet, Mikey heard it all.
  Sighing, Mikey removed his put his hand on his mask. Looking down at his dangling feet, he found himself cooled by the fall. Suddenly, he felt himself grow in size. His wings spread and carried him away from the two story house. Soon, the window seemed like a small entrance to another realm.
--
  Feeling the wind in his face, Mikey excitedly headed toward place where Vile and Xeq usually consulted Mikey. Diving to land, Mikey’s wings forced him to fly higher in the sky and pass his designated destination. Panicked, Mikey could feel the poison arise in his mouth.
  Do not fear, dearest. A feminine voice calmed him as he flew aimlessly.
  It’s my worst attribute. Mikey replied watching the waves crash into the aimless water beneath him.  
  The voice chuckled which brought joy to Mikey’s mood. May I know your name? He asked no longer looking below but ahead.
  For someone from the modern ages I’m surprised you have any manners at all. The voice joked and Mikey smiled.
  My name is Vör, Goddess of wisdom. You called upon me young Wyvern.
  Staring forward, Mikey thought of how he should respond to the Goddess. Mythology wasn’t his strongest knowledge neither was religion.
  I… Mikey began. I did?
  The voice laughed. For someone supposedly thousands of years older than him her voice was kind and didn’t speak of her age.
Yes. She replied giving Mikey no time to think at all.
Oh. What did I ask? Mikey shrugged still unsure how he called upon the Goddess since he hadn’t spoken to anyone since he had left his home.
  You’re anxious to learn about your origin aren’t you? The Goddess questioned.
Oh…! Mikey said as he did a flip in the air in joy. Yes! Yes I wish I knew more but Xeq-and Vile! He exclaimed as she chuckled.
  I know of your friends, deary. The Goddess replied. They are in quite the situation. She continued.
  What?! Exclaimed Mikey, shooting hundreds of feet into the air.
  Calm little one. Vör warned as Mikey’s air clung to his throat.
  Right.  Mikey though, lowering his altitude. Xeq and Vile warned Mikey about long distant trips and certain altitudes when first learning to fly.
  Is there anything I can do for them? Mikey wondered once he returned to his original altitude.
  Sadly, I cannot say you can. The Goddess sighed. But what you can do is look down and look carefully. I’d like for you to see something.
  Doing as he was told, Mikey glanced down. To Mikey’s surprise, the Goddess had lead him to a ship. Gazing at the scene, Mikey watched and focused to listen in on the conversation.
  “No.” One of the cremates replied in panic. “No. Please. I beg of ya’!” He exclaimed.
  Mikey shook his head in confusion. Are you translating them for me? He wondered. Because I’m one hundred percent positive that they are not speaking English.
  The Goddess laughed. You are speaking to me. She pointed out.
  Frustrated at the Goddess’ remark, Mikey returned himself to the conversation below.
  “You volunteered before we left the docks!” Exclaimed the captain. “You said you were at will.” He argued.
  Mikey’s eye’s widened. Fine. Forget the last question. Why is he about to jump?
  The Goddess sighed. Watch and you will see.
  Once again returning to the scene, Mikey watched as the man continued to argue but eventually condemned himself. Arms tied behind his back he stood at the edge of the plank.
  I thought they only did that in movies! Mikey exclaimed in horror.
  Young one, what did I say? The Goddess questioned sounding agitated.
  “Watch and you will see.” He quoted sounding bored and upset that the Goddess wouldn’t answer any of his questions.
  “I hear by sacrifice my previous navigator to you Goddess Rán!” Exclaimed the Captain, standing at long sword’s length away from his cremate. “Take him, and ensure our safety!” The captain continued.
  Mikey cocked his head at the sword. Modern day sailors don’t use swords…. He commented as he glanced at everyone else on the ship. Eyes widening as the captain stabbed at the back on his cremate Mikey swooped to catch the man before he hit the water.
  “What?”! Exclaimed the man.
  In shock, the Captain back up slowly and the other crew members stared in astonishment.
  “Let me go!” Yelled the navigator. “There needs to be a sacrifice for the safety of their voyage!”
  Mikey shook his head and spoke. “We’re in the twenty first century. I’m not allowing you to commit this suicide!” He exclaimed hoping that the message got to the navigator.
  “Dear Gods!” He exclaimed.
  “Do we have cannons on this ship?” Whispered one to the Captain.
  “Ay, If we do they haven’t been used in years.” The Captain whispered back.
  “I’m not here to hurt you!” Mikey exclaimed realizing the his wasn’t speaking to the crew and navigator. Instead, all they heard was his roar which they didn’t take as a peaceful cry.
  “Goddess Rán!” The navigator screamed.
  “Take me! Please keep my brethren safe of this voyage!” He pleaded.
  “No!” Mikey tried to exclaimed but only frightened the crew all the more.
 Why can’t they understand me?! Mikey cried to the Goddess.
  They are followers of Rán. She replied. They will not hear out someone who ask for Goddess of Wisdom’s assistance.
  Mikey growled. Gods, you’re really good at this information thing. I wish you would do it more often.
  The Goddess sighed in response.
  I’m sorry. Mikey muttered, still gripping the navigator who was screaming for forgiveness and other pleads that Mikey decided to ignore.
  So do I drop him? Mikey wondered to the Goddess.
  That is up to up to you. She replied making Mikey roll his eyes. Then she added. He wants to be taken by Goddess. If that is his wish, you should grant it.
  Mikey shook his head vigorously. No! Not if you showed this to me because you thought I was going to watch some sailor commit suicide! He exclaimed.  Vile tried to commit suicide! Mikey growled. It didn’t work out for him because he’s a dragon of the water. This man doesn’t have that case. Why should I let him give up his life when I, of all people, haven’t?
  Mikey could feel a warm feeling in his heart. You can ask Ægir. He could feel her uneasiness. He’s the God of the Sea.
  Mikey sighed. I didn’t even know how I called upon you dear Goddess. How can I call upon another God consciously?
  When there was no replied Mikey’s grip tightened on the navigator. You know, for a Goddess of Wisdom you sure like to not give much of it. He muttered.
  Closing his eyes without losing conscious of the crew’s whereabouts, Mikey concentrated and thought to himself. I call upon you, Ægir, God of the sea. He began. Please guide me in what I should do with this man.
  YOU DARE CALL UPON ÆGIR, GOD OF THE SEA.  Boomed, The God.
  Mikey rolled his eyes. Man! You Gods are so weird! I’m asking for your help and you either don’t answer me at all and watch me suffer at my question or yell at me for. Oh I don’t know. Asking for help?! He exclaimed in furry. Forget it! I’m about to put him down on the ship and fly away as if I was never here in the first place. Gods. Mikey exclaimed, watching the crew freeze in terror.
  See, at least they react to me. I mean. Gods! Mikey growled.
 WHAT IS IT YOU WANT, MORTAL?!  The God of the sea questioned.
  Well, we should start with lowering your voice. Mikey rolled his eyes. And to get your terminology straight I’m not completely mortal.
YOU ARE NOT IMMORTAL AND WHICH MAKES YOU MORTAL, MORTAL. Replied Ægir simply.
  Gah! Mikey exclaimed in frustration.
AND NO MORTAL CAN ORDER AEGIR, GOD OF THE SEA, AROUND. Ægir added.
 Should I call upon Poseidon then? Gods… Mikey said with sarcasm.
Boy. Never speak of the Greek Gods in the presence of the Norse Gods! Exclaimed Vör cutting off Mikey’s comment before he spoke of Poseidon.
  Oh. NOW you tell me. Mikey replied in frustration. Fine. I won’t but he’s loud and obnoxious and you’re not very helpful. I want you to know that.
  I will accept this apology on behalf of Ægir. Goddess Vör replied.
  Your sarcasm worse than mine. Mikey shook his head thankful that the crewmates stood frozen and the navigator had finally stop thrashing about.
  Okay. I admit it, I’m not immortal but I’m a Wyvern and I’d like your help. He replied to the Sea God.
  WHY SHOULD I HELP THEE?! Ægir questioned.
  Because no one should die because some Goddess doesn’t know how to get in a relationship. I mean. Come on!
  Ægir’s booming laugh accompanied Vör’s normal sounding laugh.
  What?! Mikey pleaded. I was dead serious that time. He whined. I wasn’t trying to be funny.
  AS YOU WISH. Ægir replied. YOU HAVE MY BLESSING OF IMMORTALITY FROM RÁN. MAY YOU AND YOUR FRIENDS HAVE MY GUIDANCE THROUGH THE SEA.
  Mikey sighed. Well thanks but that’s not exactly the answer I was looking for! Mikey smirked and shuddered as he felt the wind pick up.
  Hurry young one, Rán is angry with you. Place the man with his crew and speak to them.
  Mikey sighed and flew over to the ship, dropping the man on deck as close to it as possible and switched into reflection form.
  “My Gods.” The captain said as Mikey stretched.
  “A boy who can change into the devil itself!” He exclaimed, holding the long sword’s tip at Mikey.
  Mikey sighed as his eyes glowed a lime green, knocking it out of the Captain’s hand he shook his head. “I don’t think you should do that.” He muttered.
  Staring at him, Mikey wondered why the Captain didn’t react to Mikey’s reply. Face palming himself, he turned to look at the crew. “Do any of you speak English?”! He exclaimed.
Silence eroding into Mikey’s patience he thought to Vör. Guidance…. He sighed. Please….
Your own talents are being overlooked. She replied.
  “Blah Blah Blah.” Mikey growled. “Whatever that means!” He exclaimed.
  Catching the Captain backing away, Mikey turned to him and thought of what language the Captain might speak. Nynorsk. Nodding, he attempted to use his understanding abilities to speak to the Captain.
  “I’m not here to hurt you.” He tried desperately, his eyes glowing a deep green.
  “How can I believe that!”? Replied the Captain, “You approach from the skies, save our only hope to getting a safe voyage, and then you land and place the curse right at my feet!” He exclaimed, his voice rough.
  “How can I believe you? Especially since you’re not human at all!” He added. “You’re a…a…” He stuttered. “A devil!” He exclaimed.
  “Wyvern!” Mikey exclaimed in frustration. Seeing that the Captain didn’t react he tried again, slowly this time.
  “Wyvern.” He sighed. “I. am. a. wyvern.” He spat, hoping not to sound as annoyed as he was.
  “And what you were about to do was immoral!” He exclaimed. “Why sacrifice someone to a Goddess you’ve never seen?”! He exclaimed.
  Frozen, the Captain shook and pointed a quivery hand behind Mikey as the ship took a sudden lurch backwards.
  “Ugh!” Mikey growled. “WHAT NOW?”! He exclaimed.   

No comments:

Post a Comment