Sunday, January 3, 2016

III. Week One: A Push and Fear

 The term ‘they’ was a loose term to Vile. There were a lot of things he could sense around him but this feelings was new to him. Maybe it had been because he hadn’t had to worry about a Slayer in years. Or, it could be because his best friend was a Slayer and they had masked their auras for so long that he couldn’t tell the difference. Whatever the case, the aura’s that Vile could feel now were intense and made him feel rage within him, rage with Flint, but not his own rage.


 Flint’s eyes burned with orange. He stood straight and tall next to his best friend. After all that had happened, after all he had been through he couldn’t imagine the moment to deal with these people was now. Vile was a brother to him, no question. The fact that he was a dragon, that was another deal to face but at the moment of these people’s appearance he had one thought in mind. To protect his best friend.


 Although there was something different about these auras that Flint couldn’t pinpoint. At first, he thought they were other slayers but that couldn’t be true. What did nag at him was this feeling for Gwyne which he expected Vile to have as well. Glance at his best friend, Vile met his orange eyes. The people he had thought were here weren’t the people he had expected and he hoped Vile would understand that. After all, they had developed a silent language.


 Sudden emptiness washed over Vile and Flint in an alarmed manner. Meeting each other’s normal set of eyes, they masked their aura quickly but not as quick as they had liked. Whatever had approached them wasn’t because of some blood lust for one or two of them. At least, that’s what they understood. Sniffing the air, Vile’s eyes widened. Baring he redirected his attention to the sky, hoping Flint would follow.


 Above them materialized a winged creature. A winged man with lustful eyes. Then, alongside him, two woman with the same attire. Flint could feel the hate for the two of them radiate off of the three winged above and drew his knives in defense. Slowly elevating down, the man and the two women took their places. Far enough out of range of an attack, close enough to talk.


 The woman dressed in a purple revealing outfit spoke first. Hissing as she spoke. “I see that our doll has come to quite the catch.” She smiled opening up her arms as if representing the two below.


 “They are quite the pair.” The woman on the right, dressed in blood red remarked, fluttering her eyelashes at Flint then winking receiving a painful glare in response.


 “I’d imagine the dragon was quite a tasteful morsal.” The woman in purple laughed to herself, eyeing Vile then licking her lips. Baring his teeth, Vile growled.


 “What do you want?” Vile spoke with power, lacing his speech with his aura.


 “Such intensity.” The man said with a grin. “No wonder our baby was able to keep herself intact for so long.”


 Meeting Vile’s realization, Flint held his throwing knife tightly. “There’s no way she could be one of you.”


 “Oh but doll, she is.” The woman in red laughed. “And we wondered how she could have kept this all to herself but we finally figured it out.” The woman in purple finished for the woman in red.


 “That Pheonix friend of yours.” The man said, his arms crossed and bare chest showing. “She wiped our poor baby’s memory of every being one of us. So she thinks she’s human for all she’s concerned.”


 “But she continued to somehow live without our guidance and we couldn’t imagine what men she could have reeled in to keep her alive.” The man said taking a good look at the Slayer and Dragon. “You two are quite a source you know.” Nodding at Flint he laughed. “And you. I mere slayer somehow manages to stay alive after being with one of our own for so long, if I didn’t know any better I’d say you’re more than a Slayer.”


 “I’m nothing more than a human raised Slayer who has blood of the willing.” Flint replied strongly. “If it’s Gwyne you speak of, our relationship is sort of up in the air at the moment.


 “Oh, love.” The woman in red smiled. “That’s not the only reason why we came.”


 “Then why.” Vile shouted, feeling more range enter his sobriety.


 “We’re here to make a pact.” The man exclaimed. “Since your Pheonix friend has messed with the mind of one of our own, she has yet to bare a child. As as you know, we thrive on our population. We have to have children or we will die.”


 “Moreover, she will die soon if one of you doesn’t give her what she needs.” The woman in purple said, trying to meet Vile’s eyes which were refusing to meet hers.


 “We have yet to actually check on our love,” The Incubus continued. “Her body mind may think she is human but she is still a Succubus.”


 “How she hasn’t hasn’t bared a child of either of yours, we do not understand.” The succubus in red added.


 “It is known that there are possibilities of intertwining the breeds.” The incubus replied.


 “We are taking her to be reborn, Dragon.” The succubus in purple said then paused before adding, “and Slayer.”


 “When we return, one of you is to give her life, or you both will suffer.” The succubus in red laughed.


 “I can’t let them do that.” Vile said, not turning to face Flint but speaking to him.


 “Please tell me you knew about her being a succubus.” Flint gritted between his teeth.


 “That’s on Zamer.” Vile replied. “I had no idea.” He said, hoping his best friend could hear the truth in his speech.”


 “Do you think they’ll bring her back?” Flint asked, watching the three wait for a reply.


 “They won’t bring our Gwyne back.” Vile frowned. “They’ll bring back a succubus is Gwyne’s body.”


 “But it is her, in a way.” Flint  tried to comprehend the details. Today was not going the way he expected.


 “The fact that she is dying means we can’t do anything but trust them. I did notice her decline in, well, everything.” Vile noted.


 Flint nodded. “I guess we have too much to worry about.”


 Vile agreed with a smirk then looked up at the three.


 “If we find that you’ve done anything to hurt her, we will come for you.” He shouted.


“Indeed you shall.” The woman in purple smiled. Receiving a nod from the incubus, Vile snarled.
---


 Entering the house, Flint stepped to the side as his best friend followed him in then shut the door.


 “So who won?” Zamer’s father asked intently, glancing down at the bet on the table.


 “No one.” Vile, glancing at Zamer.


 “What is it?” Zamer questioned, seeing the look on Flint and Vile’s faces.


 “You erased Gwyne’s memory.” Flint smirked. “You shouldn’t have done that for us.” He sighed.


 Turning to face Zamer, Xeq raised an eyebrow. “What do you mean?”


 Sighing, Zamer nodded. “First you tell me how you find out. Then, I’ll explain why I did what I had done.”


 “Gwyne’s old pals came by.” Flint explained. “No exactly the fun crowd but they told us they were going to take her and make her new.”


 “I’d like to see that.” Zamer said in amusement. “My magic isn’t to be reckoned with and once I take a memory, it doesn’t exactly come back.”


 “But you took who she was.” Vile said, now a look of hurt and betrayal in his eyes. “I don’t know how I’d get to know her if she was represented as a succubus from the start but I do know that this isn’t something you keep from me- or us!” Vile’s voice rose as he spoke.


 Putting his hand out in front of Vile, Flint spoke. “They said they’d bring her back, do you think they’ll keep their word?”


 “The only way for her to come back is if they make her inner succubus self switch into an incubus.” Xeq said, making a face of concern but amusement. “If they do that then she’d impregnate someone and then when she… or he in his case had enough then the incubus could return to being a succubus.” Xeq shrugged. “At least I think that’s how it works.”


 Making an uncomfortable face, Luis looked over at Flint. “So you two were having an affair or something like that and then her clan stepped in saying what exactly? That she’s dying? But how?”


 “Succubus and Incubus live to deceive women and men in their dreams. To engage in-” Zamer started to explain, thinking of her past memories.


 “Right.” Luis nodded, hoping to prevent the rest of the explanation. “So if she was doing you…” He looked at Flint. “And you…” His eyes went to Vile. “Then how is she in danger?”


 “Because she hasn’t given birth or impregnated anyone.” Xeq replied, trying not to laugh at Luis’s discomfort.


 “It’s also because I’m not exactly human.” Vile replied. “But.” Looking over at his best friend, Vile smirked. “And neither is he.”


 “But he’s not like me.” Luis said in shock. “How are you not human?” He said as he looked his cousin over again. “There’s no way your parents…”


 “They’re not, Luis.” Flint said, sighing heavily. “Do you remember what you’re supposed to do after you kill a dragon?”


 “Considering I don’t know what’s actually going on,” Luis said with a shake of his head. “No, I don’t.”


 “Bath in the blood of the dragon.” Flint said as casually as he possibly muster.


 “Right…” Luis nodded, thinking of Niali and shaking his head. “I don’t suppose I did that the first time.”


 “I doubt you did.” Flint replied, now avoiding Vile’s gaze entirely. “That doesn’t mean your grandfather didn’t get you too,” Flint added, focusing on Zamer.


 “Suppose he did.” Luis shrugged. “What would happen?”


 “It supposed to be a sign of good luck, a ritual in our pay to respect the dragon. Similar to the Natives praying when they shoot a deer.” Flint replied.


 “But it doesn’t make us not human does it?” Luis said, shaking his head, not understand how he could possibly handle that procedure.


 “You absorb part of the dragon’s aura then. Making your own aura stronger.” Flint explained.


 “Unless you ingest the blood of a dragon.” Xeq interject, amazed at Flint. “That was a rumor.”


 “And so are you.” Flint nodded towards Xeq. “I don’t know what you are now Xeq but none of the books have anything on what you’ve done.” Flint explained. “I am not a dragon, not like you Luis.” He said, finally facing his cousin.


 “But I do have the blood of all the dragons I’ve killed within me.” Flint sighed. “It’s a way to mask our scent in a sorts.”


 “So you weren’t only hiding you aura.” Vile nodded, his voice quiet.


 “No.” Flint frowned. “Not everyone follows the tradition. I haven’t slain a dragon in a long time but I used to and that’s enough to affect my blood now.”


 “So you’re not the plain ol’ human boy that you wanted everyone to think you were.” Zamer’s father announced. “What a surprise!”


 Glancing at Luis, Flint shook his head. “You can take refuge here but I can’t say I can do much for you. I know you’ve always looked up to me and there are things you can do here but all in all, I believe you need to work on the other part of you that is calling for you.”


 Taking a step forward, Vile nodded. “I agree with Flint. Your dragon side isn’t going to keep itself quiet and if you ignore it, it will consume you. Although me and Xeq aren’t exactly experts in training dragonkin we are willing to help.”


 Luis nodded. “Rogue dragons.” He said, thinking of all the stories his grandfather had told him. “When a dragon loses all trace of their ‘human’ mind.”


 “In a way, we were never human.” Xeq said, taking his seat across the table and taking back the money he had set between him and his going to be father in law.


 “But we coexist and only the way to do so is stay in our reflection form.” Xeq added.


 “I never understood how the water could mirror your…?” Luis shrugged at the term.


“Trueself.” Xeq filled in for him.


 “It shows the truth, it reflect who you are, and not what you want others to see you as.” Replied Xeq. “At least, that’s what Xi told me, my teacher over in China.


 “Your teacher Xi speaks the truth.” Zamer’s mother said, her voice light. Somehow catching everyone’s ears to make them turn towards her.


 “What?” She smiled as she saw everyone’s eyes. “I was raised with the Phoenix before Zamer, I know some things.”
---
 Bahram’s hands shook as he tried to get a hold of his anxiety. Saint George was missing. He had to find him, but how? At his side, Mikey put his hand on his shoulder. “We’ll find him. Until then, I’ll see how my mom feels about letting you stay.”


 Fumbling with his fingers, Bahram shook his head. “Doesn’t your mom like not know that you’re part dragon?”


 “Which is odd because you thought we were all genetic but no. She doesn’t. It’ll be fine man, I know our place isn’t big but I’ll make some excuse like, we’re super cool mates or something.” Mikey shrugged.


 Shaking his head again, Bahram looked at the window. Maybe I should go. You don’t exactly look like you have room in here.” He said, gesturing his hands to the small room that Mikey called his own.


 “I could get Dröfn to make you a room that exist one way and not in others?” He questioned wondering if it was even possible. “Point is, you’re not going anywhere. You can’t.” He said with his arms crossed. “At least not until you get your powers under control.”


 Still staring at his shaking hands, Bahram frowned. “I’m still not sure if I’m cold or if I’m nervous.”


 “You can’t be cold, your element’s ice.” Mikey said patting him on the back. “You’re nervous.” He added, then shrugged. “It’s alright I was nervous at first too.”


 “You won’t get me to make the same mistake you did and get myself cursed will you?” Bahram said, rolling his eyes, holding his hands together in order to mask the shaking.


 Mikey grinned. “I’ll try not to mate but no promises.” He said, heading to the door.


 “Saint George.” Bahram said as Mikey reached for the handle.


 “We’ll find him.” Mikey assured then headed downstairs.


 “Is your friend feeling better?” Olivia asked as she heard Mikey’s footsteps.


 “Yes, a lot better.” He smiled then pulled his mom into an embrace.


 Ruffling her son’s hair, Olivia sighed. “What is it my son?”


 Mikey grinned as he tried to sound as sympathetic as possible. “Mum, Ram is a good mate of mine and was wondering if he could stay with us. You know, until he gets back on his feet?”


 “And his parents?” Olivia questioned, putting distance between her and Mikey.


 “They’re on vacation.” Mikey shrugged. “He said they let him stay home by himself all the time but I’d rather him stay here, it’s scary living in alone.”


 Olivia nodded. “Of course he can stay.” She smiled. “But you’ll have to get him to call his parents so that I can speak with them about the matter.”


 Mikey nodded. “I’ll go tell him.”


 “Son?” Olivia asked as Mikey reached the middle of the staircase.


 “Yes, Mum?” He said turning towards her.


 “Doesn’t he go to a different school than you?” She asked, putting on her ‘mum look’ expression that she did when she knew something was up.


 “He does.” Mikey replied, keeping his best innocent face on. “But he’s mates with my mates.” He explain with a smile.
 Nodding, Olivia turned to the table as she replied. “Well alright, a mates a mate I guess.” She said, hiding her concern in her voice. “Breakfast here in twenty minutes. Don’t be late.” She remarked as Mikey’s footsteps faded.


 Opening the door to his room, Mikey smiled at Bahram as he entered. “So… You said Saint George was your only family?”


 Bahram nodded, the sheets iced over beneath him.


 Mikey sighed. “Okay, well luckily I have friends who can cover for you but you’re seriously going to have to work on this whole icing things over because I’m not a dragon of fire so I can’t undo what you’re doing.”


 “Can’t Dröfn?” Bahram asked in desperation, pointing to Mikey’s necklace, instantly freezing it.


 Wide eyed, Mikey stared at the trinket then glanced over at the window that slowly encased itself in ice.


 Making twisted face between being impressed and mortifying terror, Mikey nodded, holding the trinket in his hand, then meet Bahram’s shocked eyes.


 “I didn’t” Bahram started.


“I know.” Mikey interjected. “But that doesn’t mean anything to Ægir. He’s going to be pissed you froze beloved daughter and he’s probably going to have to replace that window any second now.


 Waiting in terror, Bahram and Mikey sat in silence for a few minutes before Mikey shook his head. “Must have not gotten the memo…” He muttered. “Dröfn…” He said, clearing his throat. “If you can hear me, we’ll figure out how to undo this.” He said, imagine that she would be yelling at him in Norse if she wasn’t frozen.


 “And when we do I’ll apologize for not protecting you and we’ll have Ram’s powers under control by then okay?” He added.


 “And if she can’t hear you?” Bahram asked quietly, sticking his hands in his pockets.


 “Then I can at least say I tried to communicate with her.” Mikey shrugged. “Until then, I have a frozen wave of a girlfriend and Ægir is going to probably come after us when he find outs. But.” He nodded looking at the time.


 “I’d rather deal with that after we eat breakfast.” He smirked, gesturing to the door.


 “I’m not hungry.” Bahram sighed.


 Mikey nodded. “I wasn’t either when I first turned my food into acid but I tried and I need to you try.” He said, holding Bahram’s gaze.


 Sighing, Bahram nodded. “And if my food get frostbite?”


 “Then I guess you’ll have to give that frost some bite.” Mikey shrugged, receiving a glare from Bahram.

No comments:

Post a Comment