Friday, January 22, 2016

The Descendant II: Week Four: Trust

 Lane didn’t know what it was like to get hammered on a friday night but he imagined the feeling he woke up to felt similar to the one he was having at the moment. He woke up in a hotel bed, Alex in the one next to him, and a unmade couch bed in the other room separated by glass. He couldn’t remember the day before after he followed Court with Alex by his side to what seemed to be a town square and now he couldn’t help but wonder where they were.

 Rolling onto his side, Lane glanced over at the stand with a white glow to it. On it, held a note. Rubbing his eyes, Lane reached for the note and put together the mess of letters. ‘Meet me downstairs. -Court.’

 Glancing over at Alex, Lane stretched then went over to her bedside and lightly pushed her. “Alex. We need to meet Court downstairs.” He said, unsuccessfully being able to reach her.

 After ten minutes or shoving at her and rolling her from one side of the bed to the other, Lane decided against making her fall off the bed and allowed her to rest. Switching into a clean pair of clothes, Lane grabbed a key card and closed the door behind him. He didn’t know Alex well enough and certainly didn’t want to get on her bad side. As a hunter, he knew that the time of day was already late although the clocks read ten in the morning, Lane still felt a slight discomfort.

 Reaching the dining room which was still serving breakfast, Lane spotted Court sitting alone picking at a muffin. He wore a new set of clothes and looked fresh except for his eyes which seemed to be dead. Grabbing a small breakfast or bacon and eggs, orange juice, and a yogurt, Lane took the seat in front of Court and unwrapped his plasticware.

 “I tried to get Alex up but-” A shake of Court’s head interrupted Lane.

 “Didn’t need her. That’s why I left the note for you.” Court said, his voice still groggy.

 “Me?” Lane said, head still aching. “Please tell me I’m not the only one going through this.” He muttered, as he pushed the eggs around on his plate.

 “You’re not.” Court sighed. “But it does seem like we have a change in plan.”

 “We had a plan?” Lane asked still uncertain of what happened yesterday.

 “Mind filling me in on what I can’t remember yesterday?” Lane questioned, trying to sound of authority but the ring in his ears prevented his focus.

 “I told you that I had a dream before the prophecy was spoken.” Court said, still picking at his muffin. “What I didn’t tell you is that it had a plan that I was to follow.” He said, waiting for Court to reply. Not receiving one, he continued. “The plan was to head straight for New York but now…” Court sighed. “I don’t exactly know how we’ll get there or what we’re going to do about the situation outside.”

 “Situation?” Lane said, finally looking up from his eggs. “What situation?”

 “Someone lead a cerberus to our hotel doors and it won’t leave unless it had its target.” He said, not meeting Lane’s eyes.

 “You’re the target?” Lane asked, somehow not surprised by the call.

 “No.” Lane said pushing away what was left of his muffin. “Otherwise, I wouldn’t bring you into this.” He said, his arms crossed.

 “Then who?” Lane asked, glancing in the direction of the hotel entrance.

 “Alex is.” Court replied, allowing Lane to process his words.

 “Is that why I couldn’t get her up? You did something to her to make sure she didn’t get down here?” Lane questioned.

 “Yes.” Court sighed. “She won’t wake up until I tell her to. It’s a sleep drug () showed me. She only wakes to the one who gave her the drug.”

 “Well that doesn’t sound peaceful household like.” Lane said in amazement. “How do you think we should get rid of it?”  

 “The Cerberus is waiting patiently at the door. Either something is preventing it from coming in or stopping us from getting out, I haven’t exactly figured out which but all I know is that Alex is in trouble and it’s taking a toll on me to do what I can to save her.” He sighed.

 “You’re using magic.” Lane stated in confusion. “Did you learn that from Hazel or?”

 “A man can learn many things.” Court sighed. “This isn’t one of them.”

 “Why is it that I’m having a hard time believing you.” Lane frowned, chugging down his orange juice and pocketing his yogurt.

 “Because. I haven’t been clear this whole time but trust me, Lane, that Cerberus is here to kill her and it doesn’t matter to it who it kills on the way now are you going to help me or not?”

 Anger filled Lane’s stomach, something had washed over him and Court seemed to be the target. Taking off his metal bracelet, Lane gripped it, materializing a boy and a quiver of arrows in his hand. Drawing back the string, Lane growled.

 “The truth, Court. Or I won’t hesitate to another second to kill you.”

 “I’d like to see you kill me, Dolas.” Court smirked, eyes glowing a golden color.

 Lane laughed, a deeper darker laugh than normal. Meeting Court’s golden eyes were a purple haze. “The boy had no idea does he?” Dolas smirked.

 “If that were half true, I wouldn’t be in this mess.” Court growled. “Now do something about the Cerberus.” He ordered.

 “Your mother may be able to command me, but you cannot.” Dolas laughed again.

 “I was told you were better at this than most her disciples so now, Court,” Dolas grinned. “Prove it, by playing my game.”

 Stepping back into the darkness, Court reappeared behind Lane’s body and held a knife to his throat.

 “This isn’t funny, Dolas.” He hissed.

 “Oh but it is!” Dolas hissed back. “You can save one of two friends. If they’re you’re friends anyway.” He smiled. “I know you may not care for them but your camp might be upsetting finding out that you killed them.”

 Court released his grip on the knife. “And how do you suppose you’ll kill Lane if I save Alex?” He questioned, reappearing in front of Lane’s body.

 “Common suicide tricks are fun. Then I’ll leave his body as soon as it drops.” Dolas smiled.

 “There’s a way for you to save them both but that won’t be any fun.” Dolas grinned, making Lane hold his own knife to his throat.

 “Now choose.” Dolas grinned.

 Huffing, Court stood silent. He had to calculate how quickly he could stop the Cerberus from reaching Alex on the top floor. Lane was an easy fix.

 Deception. Court thought to himself. There wasn’t much energy left in what wall Court had mustered to stop the Cerberus. If he let it down for a moment he could save Lane. Frustrated, Court met Lane’s eyes.

 “Leave him.” Court said, eyes glowing golden. Confused, another voice emerged from Lane.

 “I don’t suppose that’s-”

 “Leave him.” Court hissed. Eyes, flashing gold then back to purple, Court sighed.

 “I see, so that’s your choice.” Dolas’s voice emerged from a different mortal.

 Feeling his energy fade, Court grunted. “Alex.” He said grabbing Lane then stepping into the darkness and emerging into the hotel room.

 Scared, Lane brough his arm away from his neck. “Court…?” He said, baffled as to how they went from the dining room to the hotel room.

 “Cerberus.” Court struggled to say before weakly uttering Alex’s name.

No comments:

Post a Comment