Friday, January 8, 2016

The Descendant II: Week Two: Golden Eyes

 In the distance, Court spoke with someone. Sitting on a bench not far, Lance sat quietly next to Alex who clearly didn’t like the situation they were in. Why is he talking to that guy? Who is he? Does he know Court? How does he know Court? Does Court even know where he’s going? Why aren’t you answering any of my questions? Lance? Lance?!

 Lane glanced over at Alex and sighed. “It’s Lane, Alex and I don’t know. I trust Court knows what he’s doing and if he doesn’t. Well…” He shrugged. “I know how to live on my own and return to camp, what about you?”

 “What if we don’t need to go on this quest?” Alex questioned, watching as Court returned to them.

 “A God showed up and said we were to be on this quest, Alex, I’m positive that we’re supposed to be here.”

 Alex frowned and crossed her arms as Court came into speaking range. “Who was that guy?”! She started and before she could continue Court’s eyes turned golden, making Alex’s do the same. Eyes turning back to brown, Court sighed, and looked at Lane.

 “Did she ever tell you who she legacy to or daughter of?”

 Lane shook his head. “No.” He said as he glanced back at Alex who’s eyes turned back to light green. “May I ask how you did that?”

 Court shrugged. “I’d settle for a thank you instead.”

 Receiving a nod, Lance agreed then stood. Beside him, Alex stood silently.  “Where to?”

 “Our opponent has a tracking device on her and Alex here knows how to activate that tracking device actually.” Court said, glancing back at Alex.

 “I do?” Alex said, then shook her head. “Oh yea! Of course I do.” She grinned. “Why didn’t you say so?”!

 Raising an eyebrow, Lane gestured for her to take the lead. “Then what are you waiting for?” He questioned.

 “I was waiting for Court’s permission, duh!” She grinned, sending a helpless look then returned to her ecstatic one. Facing Court, Alex cleared her throat. “Our opponent was last spotted in New York!” She exclaimed with a big smile. “We should probably head there!”

 “Excellent.” Court said, keys jingling in his hand. “Then let us go.”

 Shooting a look of concern at Alex, Lane met Court’s eyes. “None of us are old enough to drive.”

 “Who said we were?” Court shrugged. “That humble man over there decided that we could borrow his car for this trip so I don’t see why we don’t take this as an opportunity.”

 “Court.” Lane said, looking at the keys in concern. Behind him, a man appeared with a boy. “Did I hear that you kids needed a driver?”

 “Ah, Blake. It’s nice to see you again.” Court smiled, gesturing for the two to follow. Allowing Alex to get ahead of them, Court slowed to meet Lane’s steps. “Do you have a problem with the way I’m getting this quest done, soldier?”

 “No.” Lane said, not meeting Court’s eyes. “But I have a feeling you know more than you’re letting us in on.” Lane frowned. “I don’t mind working with you but if I do work with you I need to know more details. An example would be what you did to Alex.” Pausing, he stood in front of the open door looking at Alex then added. “But I’ll let that slide for now, sir.”

 Court nodded then got in on the passenger side. “Glad to see we’re on the same side, Lane. Now where did you say we were going, Alex?”

 “New York!” She said cheerfully, reaching for Lane’s hand across the seat. Meeting Alex’s eyes, Lane looked at her in confusion.

 Taking out his wallet, Lane opened it to show Alex a picture of his girlfriend. Shaking her head, she continued to hold out her hand. Uncomfortably, Lane lightly took her hand in his, feeling a rushing pain shock through his body.

 “Everything alright back there?” Court asked before turning to meet Lane’s golden eyes. He was sitting in the middle seat holding Alex’s hand. Nodding quietly, Lane replied. “Yes, sir.”

 “Don’t you have a girlfriend, Gutav?” He asked, now looking forward with a grin.

 “I do.” Gutav replied, squeezing Alex’s hand. “But she’ll understand that this is friendly.”

 Court smirked. “I hope so. I don’t want to have to explain to her any trouble.” He said, looking at the driver who was grinning as well.

 “I have to say Mr. Court, you’re quite the genius.” He smiled.

 Shaking his head, Court smirked. “I don’t hold the credit my kind, sir. There was already a plan in motion, all I am is to insure success.”

 The man nodded. “Although we will have to take bathroom breaks. New York is quite a ways.”
 Court nodded. “I understand. I’m sure the other two will need to do their thing as well. It’s a matter of how much will they have left at the end of this.” He said only loud enough for the man to hear.

 “I see. Friends of yours?” He gestured with his shoulder to point at the two in the back seat.

 “Acquaintances.” Court replied. “But I’m sure they’re good people.” He shrugged. “It wouldn’t exactly be easy if I brought along Frank Zhang for example.”

 “Ares would not happy with us, no.”

 “Exactly.” Court smirked. “I am a bit concerned about Diana but overall I have confidence in these two.”

 “That’s good to hear.” The man smirked. “Although, do you know who the real enemy is?” He asked, meeting Court’s eyes.

 “My mother speaks and I obey.” Court replied. “No questions required. I am my mother’s son.”

 The man nodded then returned his eyes to the road. Court frowned at the remark. Who would doubt his mother, especially one of her disciples? Turning back to Lane and Alex Court smirked. “I’m sure this quest has it’s time. Is there anywhere you two would like to stop by on the way up there?”

 Lane smirked. “There are a couple of parks on the way up there. Could we check out at least one of them?”

 Court nodded. “Sure, Lane, it’s the least we can do.” He said then turned to the man. “You can choose when we stop.”

No comments:

Post a Comment