Friday, June 2, 2017

Week Twenty One: Unhinged: Nightmare V

 Placing her backpack next to her, Devon took the seat adjacent and took out their assignments. Next to them, he placed their text books. Then looked up at her, he frowned as he saw the bags under her eyes.

 “When’s the last time you actually slept?” He questioned.

 Shaking her head, Vali sighed. “I have never actually slept.” She said. “But it was depressing for me to stay in the facility at the hospital and also not cost efficient.” She explained. “No amount of pills helped.” She pushed her tongue up against her cut in her lip.

 Getting up, Devon return with a box of tissues. “You physically cannot handle whatever it is you’re going through emotionally or mentally.” He said sternly, “But you can’t afford help.”

 “Pretty much.” Vali smiled, placing the tissue over her lip, then dabbing it a couple of times. “My father is nonexistent because he works out of town and my mother can’t handle my stress so she completely avoid me. My brother works so that he can make sure me and him can make it.” Vali shook her head. “The worst part is…” She let a couple of tears fall. “I can’t tell anyone what’s really going on.”

 Keeping his eyes on her, Devon replied gently. “You can tell me.”

 Tears continued to fall. “No, Devon. I can’t.” She said, this time, Devon reached over and dabbed her tears from her face. “However long it takes, I’ll be here to help.”

 Hearing the scream echo in her head, Vali cringed. “You don’t want to know about any of this.” She said shriving up. “I’ve tried to tell my brother but he forgets. It’s weird. Even, Rhena, my best friend will listen but she can’t understand or remember it.” She coughed out. “It’s as if I’m cursed.”

 Laying his hand on her, Devon sat quietly. Looking up at him, she noticed that his eyes never left hers. She truly had his undivided attention and he honestly wanted to help. This made her long to trust him but she knew that it was impossible, she could talk to no one.

 Beside him, Rhena appeared. Squinting her eyes and wiping away a couple of more tears, she stuttered. “Rhena?” She said, making Devon turn.

 Smirking, Devon blinked twice. Seeing nothing, he turned back to Vali. “Hate to tell you this, Hun.” He said gently. “But no one’s there.”

 Wide eyed, Vali looked up and down Rhena then looked harder to see the slight transparency. “I don’t have time for you.” She spat, not caring that Devon was listening at this point. “I can’t sleep because of things like you, now you’re wanting to invade my physical life. I don’t think so.”

 “Looks like you’re going to lose your only friend, Vali.” Fake Rhena hissed. “Time’s ‘a ticking.” She cackled. “Soon you’ll be lost forever in this world.” She smiled. “Can’t wait to see you in our world.” It hissed then disappeared.

 Sighing, Devon felt Vali’s forehead with the back of his hand. “You’re not running a fever.” He said as he slowly took his hand away. “But I don’t care how crazy it sounds.” He said sternly. “You have to tell someone even if it doesn’t make sense to them.” He added.

 “Looking at you like this,” Devon said taking his other hand away and gesturing to her. “It makes someone like me, a complete stranger, concerned for you.” Making a small smile with his lips, Devon took a second to think. “I don’t want you to think that you’re weak.” He began. “If anything, I’ve seen you go through this in the distance and I frankly can’t handle seeing someone in pain for this long.”

 Sitting up, Vali inhaled. Before she could speak, Devon held his hand up. “Let me finish.” He said quietly. “Please, Vali. Even if I forget by tomorrow…” He shrugged. “Tell me over and over again until you can look more alive than you do.” He said, as a girl sat across from her.

 “I’m sure Kiana will understand.” He said passing her a smile and a look that Vali knew meant that she was more than a friend.

 “Hi, Vali.” Kiana said, her emerald eyes gazed over her in concern. “Devon has told me about you over the semester and said he was concerned for you. I told him that he could approach you if he’d like and I wouldn’t feel jealous. But if it makes you feel a little more secure you can talk to both of us. Individually, together, however you’d like. I’m not going to be here long seeing that I’m supposed to be in another classroom but Devon texted me and I swung by before coming back from the bathroom.”

Seeing her complimenting aura next to Devon’s made Vali smile. “You two are beautiful.” She said, without thinking.

 Blushing, Devon turned away in embarrassment while Kiana smiled. “Thank you.” She said, taking Vali’s hand in hers. “Whatever you need from either of us, we’ll do what we can okay?” She said then gave Devon a kiss on the cheek before she left the table.

 “She’s an upperclassman.” Vali said in amusement as she realized the uniform difference.

 “Yea…” Devon said, recovering from her presence. “She’s super understanding which is why I went ahead and told her what was going on. I know that I didn’t tell you but you need help and not in a bad way.” He added quickly. “All I want to do is help you and she has been through some tough times. I would like to include her if possible.”

 Glancing over at the assignment, Vali picked up the pencil and gestured for a text book. Silently, Devon watched as she turned to the page, glanced over the section the paper was over and finish it within ten minutes. Sighing, Devon pulled his paper to him and opened up his textbook. “That easy huh?”

 Vali shook her head. “You want me to trust you and tell you things, yea?” She said closing the textbook and pushing the assignment towards him.

 “Yes, but I don’t want to copy off your paper.” Devon replied sternly.

 “Of course.” Vali smirked, feeling herself waver again. “Let me allow you to be in on a secret of mine.” She said, still looking at him without full focus.

 “Go for it.” Devon nodded.

 “A part of me already knows all this.” Vali said pointing to the textbook. Then spreading her arms out to gesture at the whole library she pushed what little focus she had left into her last sentence. “I know most of this.”

 Feeling herself fade away, she watched as Devon hurried to catch her. Touching her neck, Devon sighed. Then picked her up in his arms. It was distant, but she could hear Devon assure her. “I’m taking you to the nurses and hopefully, we can help you with whatever it is.”

No comments:

Post a Comment