Friday, June 2, 2017

Week Twenty Two: Unhinged: Dax VII

 Once the treefolk spoke of its name, the black markings lit up and Dax could hear many conversations fill the room. After a moment, the room quieted. But in that time, Dax felt his life suck away from a moment. Once the room was quiet, Dax breathed out in caution.

 “Your name, what does it mean?” Dax asked, not sure what to think of the course of events.

 “It is German for Collectors of Souls.” The tree said, when I spoke of my name you felt the power of the city that surrounds you. Do you understand why you are invisible to the people of this town now?”

 “There was no name for the town. It seemed so real. But- What about Brother Jhasar?” Dax asked, in an almost demanding way. The way he saw it, he was in a mini hell. If there was one. Or a soul deposit. Which meant his soul was also deposited. Or-

 “Brother Jhasar is one of the many mythics that have laid to rest here, either my choice or by fate.” said Sammler von Seelen. “Do not worry, young Drake. You would not be able to speak with me if your soul was within me. In other words, you would be able to speak to the people of this village.”

 “What about the cloak?” Dax asked, remembering what Brother Jhasar had given him.

 “It's a gift from me to you. Those who seek the river will find the river and take refuge. But I will warn you. Stay too long and you will become one with the many souls here. However, you will be at peace.”

 “My life isn’t over yet.” Dax said, taking a look at the markings. “What about your soul. What happened to it?” Dax questioned then quickly added. “If you don't’ mind me asking.”

 Again, Sammler von Seelen laughed. “This is my soul.” The treefolk said. “Would it make more sense if I retained to the man you saw earlier?”

 “But why allow me to see you?” Dax questioned. “Does this mean the mythics after me… They can’t find this place?”

 “No.” Sammler von Seelen, replied kindly. “You sought refuge. I gave you so. Think of where you are as a connection to where souls and living souls can meet but only for a short amount of time. Which, time here is irrelevant. Despite you looking out and seeing daylight, it could be a day or two from what you remember when you entered my domain.”

 Dax wasn’t sure what to say. He was in limbo? He wasn’t even sure if that was a thing. Taking a moment to think, Dax smiled. “Well…” He began. “Thank you for your hospitality. Is there any way I can repay you?”

 “There is.” Sammler von Seelen said, as he began to shimmer. Dax covered his eyes and the tree covered back into a man. “I don’t think you would like to see me take a piece of myself off so here is an enchanted leaf.” The man smiled. There was so much warmth coming from someone who contained a lot of passed souls.

Feeling it, Dax tinkered with it, inspecting the enchanted writing on the leaf. It was similar to the one on the treefolk’s base. “It is not your choice whether you do this or not, young Drake. However, it is your choice if you are to come to me again.

 “What do you mean?” Dax asked, somewhat irked that he was being commanded.

 “By visiting this place, you are bound to live within me until you pass on a soul to me.” Sammler von Seelen spoke but not in a way that triggered Dax’s anger.

 “Do I have to be the reason why the soul is passing from the living to the dead?” Dax questioned.

 “I wouldn’t call it death.” Sammler von Seelen shrugged. “But if that is how you see things…” He smirked. “No, if you find a lost soul, you can present the leaf to it and it will come here to live in peace. If you were to make a soul pass and press the leaf to the vessel of the soul then yes, it would then be as you described. But any soul if fine. Mythic, human, other creatures. All I ask if for one. However, if you wish to come to me again, in this manner you will receive another leaf and the same request will be expected of you.”

 Dax nodded. “A soul for a soul. I understand. However, is the way out the same way I came?”

 Suddenly, Brother Jhasar slowly materialized again. “I can show you the way out.” He hissed. “I’m sad to see you go so soon, new Brother Dax.”

 Smirking, Dax slipped the leaf into his pack. “This was an interesting encounter, Mr.Von.” He smirked. “Considering what happened the last time your full name was spoken I’m not going to try that trick. Are you okay with me calling you, Mr. Von?”

 Sammler von Seelen chuckled. “You’re welcome, young Drake. Your potential is still one of great value. Not many can find the river or speak to me in my true form. You are quite powerful in the spiritual sense.”

 “I’m not religious.” Dax shrugged. “But I guess that doesn’t mean the same thing now does it?”

 Again, Sammler von Seelen chuckled. “I explained why you were invisible in my realm. But it is not the reason why the mythics couldn’t find you when they were very close.”

 “Let me guess, treefolk gossip?” Dax grinned.

 “Not gossip.” Sammler von Seelen sighed. “Young Drake, we are able to see what each other see. We are a part of nature. I will always know of your journey now that you have caught my eyes. As long as you are near nature you will be able to speak to me, or leave a message and I will respond.”

 “Understood.” Dax said, gesturing to Brother Jhasar. “I’m not sure what you are.” He smirked. “But please, guild me out of here, dear Brother.”

 “Respect knows no bounds for the living and the dead.” Brother Jhasar hissed. I came here to lay to rest but on occasion I come to life for Master’s bidding. You for example.” Brother Jhasar’s seemed to hold out, making Dax sigh.

 “You are the first to pass Master’s requirements. You should be proud.” Brother Jhasar spoke, leading him down the same hallways, no candle this time.

 “A soul for a soul?” Dax shrugged. “That doesn’t seem too difficult.”

 Brother Jhasar laughed. “There is more that he has blessed you with, dear Brother. All you have to do is find it.”

 Taking a step out the church doors, Dax felt a beat in his chest. Suddenly, the world went black. Hearing his heartbeat, Dax slowly came to his senses. Opening his eyes, Dax quickly sat up and looked around. Behind him, a forest, and in front, a clear view to the city he had thought of looking into. Standing up, Dax stretched, he felt stiff. He couldn’t imagine how long he had been laying there. Reaching in his bag, he pulled out the leaf that seemed more like a stone. Nodding, he placed it gently back in his bag and spread his wings. Sammler von Seelen had bought him the time he asked for. There was no need to waste it.

No comments:

Post a Comment