Friday, June 2, 2017

Week Twenty: Unhinged: Dax VI

 Approaching a lit up door, Brother Jhasar stopped and turned to face Dax. Behind him, the door lit up his figure. Blowing out the candle, Brother Jhasar smiled, and looked over Dax once more then knocked on the door.

 “Father, it is I, Brother Jhasar. I am with one who can see the river from the skies.” Brother Jhasar spoke, hissing in between. The creepy sensation Dax got per hiss irked him. There was no doubt, he wouldn’t get used to the hissing.

 There was silence, then a shuffle from the other side of the door. Stepping back, Brother Jhasar moved out of the way of the door. As the door opened the light blinded Dax. Covering his face, Dax winced.

 “Brother, you may come in. You who can see the river. Please, tell me your name.” A voice, warming but strong said. Its figure lost in the light.

 “My name is Dax Rye. I come from a city that withheld my potential.” He said, thinking carefully as he spoke.  Brother..” Dax paused to make sure he was using terms correctly. “Brother Jhasar told me that he would need your permission to show me how to ‘reveal’ myself to the public…” Dax thought again. “Please, if I can be civil I shall try.” He smirked. That sounded pretty convincing to him.

 “Indeed.” The voice of the Father commented. “Step inside, Dax Rye. Tell me, what city you come from?”

 There was probably another barrier at the doorway considering Brother Jhasar mentioned that they had passed one before. Now that he was aware of it, Dax took a step into the room gesturing to close the door behind him.

 “Should I?” He asked, motioning at the door.

 “You can see it.” A man that Dax assumed to be the Father spoke. His build was strong, Dax figured if the Father were to strike he wouldn’t be able to win a fight of power. However, maybe one of speed would be successful. “I’m impressed.” He said as Dax was making his calculations.

 “Impressed that I can see what, Sir?” Dax questioned as he looked back at the door. “The door?” He asked, trying to play dumbfounded.

“Hm.” The Father said as he nodded. “No need.” He said as it closed itself. Dax nodded as he turned toward the Father. “You were talking about the weird colored thing that’s in the doorway weren’t you?” He guessed.

 The Father nodded. “You are indeed pure as Brother Jhasar says. You have stolen merchandise from some of the people in this city but you only did it because they could not see you. This city that you come from… Did they abuse you?” The Father asked in seer concern.  

 “No.” Dax replied quickly. He wasn’t sure why he stood up for the place anyway. “Well,” He paused. “They abused my freedom. They pushed me to find out what I could do best. Only those who played the system were placed where they belong and even then…” Dax wasn’t sure if he should continue but went on anyway. “Some, I believe, were convinced that living within the walls was best.”

 Rising up, the Father stood. A shimmer lit up the man’s surroundings. Making a quick glance around the room, Dax realized that there were no windows, or any traces of a light source. Looking over at Brother Jhasar, Dax immediately tried to hide his confusion as Brother Jhasar seemed to fade from view.

 “You are correct about this home of yours keeping you from your potential. But what you are not aware of is how much potential you have.” The Father said, light overpowering Dax’s view, Dax covered his eyes once more. Once the light dimmed, Dax removed his hand to see a large tree looking humanoid, around right feet tall.  

 Up until this point, Dax had tried to keep himself from sounding unprofessional in front of the one Brother Jhasar called Father but now, Dax couldn’t help but lose the terminology in his bemusement. “W-what.” He gasped, not sure if it was in fear or awe. “Are you?”  

 “My kind is not known well in this world. At least, not as leaders of those who defy nature. But I take shelter here. Watching over the city and keeping them alive. In my own special way.” The massive grove, that took place of the man, spoke. Dax searched for a face, he figured it was behind one of the massive bunch of leaves spread across the tree’s body.

 “Wait.” Dax said, thinking back to the library back in the City of Relics. “Are you- what they would call ‘Treefolk’?” He asked, sounding more excited now that he was talking to what seemed to be an ancient.

 “Not entirely.” The tree spoke. “But you are close. I was a meer treefolk. Until a shamen bounded me with a certain spell.”

 Slowly approaching the tree, Dax looked up. “May I see your face, kind treefolk?”

 “I have no face.” Said the treefolk. As Dax looked up he could see that the tree had strange black markings crawling up its branches. As if it were enchanted.

 “I’ve never read anything like you before.” Dax said. “I only asked if you were treefolk because I tried to read as much about the outside world and mythics before I planned my escape.” He spoke, still watching for any subtle changed.

 “Then, may I ask this. Do you know what a shaman is, young drake?” The tree asked.

 “No.” Dax shook his head. “I’ve heard of a witch but that’s a fairytale.”

 The tree chuckled. In what way a tree could chuckle. Its branches rustled and its leaves shook. Dax, smirked at the sight. Why was he talking to a tree? Because it previously looked like a man? Because he believed that a snake humanoid was common? He wasn’t sure at this point. But something about this place felt comfortable. And in that way, he was feeling lost in this town of, well. Now that he thought about it he couldn’t remember if the city had a name.

 “Young Drake, you wish to learn how to become visible. Yes?” The tree asked.

 “I do.” Dax said, as he felt an odd heaviness in the air. Thinking back to the entrance, Dax wondered. What brought him here? There was a river so he figured there would be people. But then again. He came here to rest. To hide. Wide eyed, Dax looked up at the treefolk in concern.

 “Before we get to that.” Dax spoke, clearing his throat. “There are people- other mythics chasing me. I have no doubts that they will tear this city apart to find me. Is there a place I can go to keep your civilians safe? I wouldn’t mind holding this invisible ability until tomorrow…” He said, hoping that he didn’t sound selfish at the end of his request.

 A warmth filled the air. “Young Drake.” The treefolk sounded intrigued. “Do you wish to know my name?”

 “Your name-?” Dax thought outloud. The treefolk hadn’t given his name. Dax was sure if that if he had asked, the kind treefolk would have told him earlier. Brother Jhasar had called him Father when they had entered so Dax had assumed that was his name. “My apologies, Father, if you are willing to share then I wish to know...” Dax paused. “What is your name, if I may ask. I’m sorry. I should have asked you when you asked for mine.”

 The treefolk smiled. “There was a reason why I did not speak of my name, young Drake.”

 Lifting his head, Dax looked back up at the treefolk. “May I know why?”

 “It was a test. To see if you were worthy of knowing my name.” The treefolk’s aura began to shimmer again. “But since you asked so sincerely. My name is Sammler von Seelen.” The treefolk bowed in what way he could.

 Dax didn’t recognize the language but he didn’t like the sound of the treefolks name when he spoke it. Shivering, Dax brushed off the feeling. That name. He had never heard of it before. Or anything like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment