Sunday, March 15, 2015

II. Week Eleven: Deprivation and Exhaustion

  Finding the mountain that Xeq had fallen unconscious to the first time was amazingly more of  a journey than Xeq could muster. Xeq had made it to China in the twenty four hour strain but was now hardly able to keep focus in the night. His vision blurred as his wings became heavy. He couldn’t fall again but where would he land?

  Then again, China appreciated dragons. They didn’t fear his kind. However, his silver complexion might not do as well with the locals. Glancing down to see the Great Wall, Xeq frantically woke himself up in mid fall. He couldn’t crash down. He didn’t know how far up he had been the first time Mioko caught him but he knew falling at any height, if he changed forms, would leave him breathless.

  There had to be a way. Xeq hadn’t been around any Eastern dragons except Mioko. If he would have asked Mioko the name of the mountain he might have been able to plan ahead but Xeq knew he probably would have passed the information in his head. Being this far from Mioko wouldn’t grant him any luxury. Fighting his dropping eye lids, Xeq concentrated.

 If anyone can hear me, please. Help me. I will repay you in someway, however, I am looking for a specific mountain. I’ve been flying for twenty two hours straight. I am not of the Eastern culture but I am open to all ears. Please, I can’t hold on much longer.

  Minutes had passed swiftly making Xeq descend carefully towards the earth. He’d collapse if he landed, probably changing forms and disrupting peace. Xeq knew nothing of the Chinese except for them being Communist and that wasn’t one ordeal that he wanted to deal with.

  Land. Xeq thought as he felt the strain in his wings. I have to land. Somewhere. Anywhere.

  As if by miracle, Xeq snapped to attention in hearing a voice. What is a Greek doing here in China? The voice was a female.

  Long story but I’m not actually Greek… Xeq laughed nervously and out of tiredness. Have you ever heard of a Hydra who could fly and have silver scales?

 You fly and breath under water? The voice was curious.

 Xeq didn’t give the breathing underwater a thought until she mentioned it. Of course! Vile could do it. Why couldn’t he? But Vile could fly too. Xeq wondered. Now how did Vile manage that?

  I haven’t tried but I’ll presume yes.

  Then if you can breath underwater you can find yourself your own home. Although, I’d be careful where you try to make your mark. Not all of us are friendly despite the gifts and worship.

  Xeq groaned. Please, whoever you are. I’ll work for you. I need to be back in America by Saturday night but I’ll make it up to you.

  America? The female voice was louder but this time, Xeq’s senses directed him to the clouds.

  Not only are you not eastern… The voice said in amazement. You’re immortal and have an aura to you, one that resembles a rebirth. Have you reached enlightenment?

  Xeq shrugged, he didn’t know how he could. He wanted to if it meant something here. I haven’t. He said starting to doze off again. But as I said please, I’ll work for you. I’ll even come back. That’s what I was planning on doing in the first place anyway.

  When you land, you are to bow in respects of staying at my temple. Do you comprehend my rules? The female voice was stern.

  Of course. Are there any other rules that I must be aware of?

  No shoes. She hissed.

  Too tired to question it, Xeq nodded. What do I do with them then?

  Leave them at the door of the temple. You are to wash up in the morning.

  Xeq smirked. Thank you, I’ll need help with the directions…

  The voice sighed. You are incapable as a dragon of the east, Westerner, if you cannot feel my presence from the Great Wall.  

  Looking around, Xeq shrugged. At least I know you’re close. Xeq sighed. But no, I haven’t been able to sense you since you’ve spoken to me.

  The voice sighed. You said you have ventured here before?

  Xeq nodded and then realize she couldn’t hear the gesture. Yes. I was caught by another dragon, his name’s Mioko-

  Mioko?! The female dragon hissed. You dare step forth in his presence and no nothing of us? Your ignorance!

  Xeq was now at a landing airplane height. I can’t stay up much longer. Please. He sighed. I need a teacher, someone who can guide me.

  Dragons are the ones who guide. I cannot believe you are asking for guidance but since I have pity for you I will direct you to me. I am in Xian. An hours flight from the Great Wall. Follow my voice.

  But you’re in my head. Xeq protested.

  South west. She replied in aggravation.

  Hearing a low hum, Xeq looked up. Wide eyed, he tried to dodge the nose of the plane but failed. Slamming into the airplane, Xeq’s vision blackened. Feeling the consciousness of the young dragon disappear, the woman hissed. The boy couldn’t even stay awake for a full twenty four hour flight? She shook her head. There was much for him to learn. Mioko. She shook her head. How could he have allowed this poor excuse for a dragon to enter his premises? Growling, she spread her wings and darted to the sky. She’d make it to him in time, but for her own amusement she wondered if he changed forms. Dragons who stayed dragons in their sleep had an unconscious skill that could be enforced on someone who naturally doesn’t have the ability.

  Laughing, she shook the thought off. There was a difference in this boy. A rebirth. She had to know what he had done to deserve such a right. Plummeting towards the earth, head first, was a young adult, his hair black, his body warn. He hadn’t been in the rebirth state for long and now he was working himself to the limit. Still, being able to make it to China from the states amused her enough. Scooping him up in her claws, she reverted to her reflectioned form at the entrance of the temple. Taking off his shoes, her eyes glowed an emerald, revealing a room in which she laid him down. Tucking him in, she ran the back of her fingers against his cheek. If Mioko gave this boy some time then she had no choice but to do the same.   

No comments:

Post a Comment