Sunday, March 22, 2015

II. Week Twelve: Culture Diversity

  Awakening to the sound of tourist and the different versions of Chinese languages shook Xeq up. Amazed, the tourist didn’t seem to notice he was asleep. Watching one walk through him, Xeq’s eyes widened. Sitting in the corner of the room in a meditation state, Xeq saw a woman. She was young and had her hair in a bun with two green chopsticks making an ‘X’ to keep her hair up along with a green tie on her head. She wore a shimmering green robe with the design of natural foliage.  Her skin tone was darker than Xeq’s and her breath was shallow, almost rhythmic like.

  Staring, Xeq watched her as her inhales and exhales were steady. She remained a statue and Xeq smirked. He wish he could do that. He didn’t understand what meditating did to anyone but seeing people in the state was fascinating. Breaking out of her concentration, an aura swept over him. Slowly opening her eyes and letting out a relaxed exhale she eyes him.

  Her luminous emerald eyes pierced through him, making his heart stopped.

  At your age you should already know how to detect other dragons, western or eastern. She lectured. What have you been doing all your life to not notice? Especially if the slayers are making their moves?

  The slayers? Xeq’s eyes widened. I thought we had a treaty? Some time this century in September? What are they mad at now?

  You do not even know of your own history? She shook her head. Should I even consider you a student?

  Xeq nodded in admiration. Of course you should. Because I have the will to learn and do what you say is necessarily to ‘enlighten’ myself.

  The stare that Xeq gave the woman was true. He wanted to learn. How many Western dragons knew about Eastern dragons? How many exchanged their knowledge? Did the Eastern dragons have to deal with dragon slayers as well?

  Shaking her head, the woman snorted. Us? Deal with Slayers? We are praised. We are worshiped. We give gifts to the people because we know they will give in return. We cure, we seek knowledge, we fight, we command. We are Gods. The woman said finally.

  Unlike your culture that you were born into, we are in no need of extinction. Our kind are loved among the people, and other mythical creatures that we protect. This is our duty. As a western dragon your stories are full of hate and greed and selfishness. Of power hungry dragons that want to rule. But what is the point in ruling if the rule is of fear? Your people must fear you and know your power but you must not deliver it with evil intention as the West so desires.

  Xeq shrugged. It’s not my fault that they labeled us.

  Not your fault?! The woman bellowed in laughter which offended Xeq. Don’t make me laugh!

  For a moment she was left to laugh, watching the tourist pass through them, Xeq finally asked. How exactly are you doing this?

  It’s a simple work of magic. Of course, you wouldn’t know. She snickered. We cannot approach until nightfall when they leave.

  But aren’t we welcomed here as much as them? Xeq wondered.

  Yes. I live here. The woman nodded. Although, interacting with mortals at this chaotic time will only make the hours longer for more visitors to come and even though I love the people and their gifts I do not wish to answer any more questions from anyone else. You have actually brought to a surprise on my answers. I do not like being questioned or repeating my story to everyone who crosses my path but you have a different aura to you. A rebirth. And I must know how you were capable of such power yet you know none of how to control it.

  Xeq shrugged. I do know that I’m immortal. There was a rumor, a speculation, that I had gone through for my brother.

  The woman’s eye shot up. Your brother. I feel no presence of a blood brother within you.

  He’s adopted. Xeq sighed. I haven’t told him yet but he’s been my brother for so long I can’t bring myself to. It’s like it doesn’t even matter if he’s adopted anymore.

  You have great sorrows young one. What else did you hide from him?

 Xeq met her eyes after realizing that he was dressed down. A pair of shorts was the only clothing that he had on. Vile had a dream about his brothers. He told me about it when he was younger. But then he got injured really badly, I had to ask a Phoenix to come heal him, she said the damage was too great and so she had to take something of value. I told her to do it because otherwise he would did. She told me it would be significant and she warned me the troubles it might bring.

 Luckily, Vile wasn’t mad. We haven’t talked about it too much but he seems to be okay with me being part hydra now. And I’m even immortal.

  The woman smiled and then laugh to herself. Now you’re immortal. There are only a few ways to kill a dragon and old age is not one of them.

  Shrugging, Xeq looked down at the woman’s hands that were set in front of her. I don’t understand though, Vile and I found out we were dragons around the preteen stage and now we’re having to help a Londoner with his Wyvern self. How do we know we’re who we are at the beginning instead of having to go on rampages to find out?

  An eastern dragon has a peaceful approach with becoming a dragon. Of course we hardly use this form that your generation uses. We tend to do best in our natural state but seeing as this is easier for you to perceive than what I actually look like, I choice to stay like this.

  It would be easier on us if we could locate the other dragons in the west. He sighed.
 
  Which is why at nightfall you and I are going to do some training when it comes to finding another dragon’s aura. You recently have adjusted to this new power which means you will not be used to your own aura. I’m surprised you didn’t get attacked by other creatures that decided you were an easy target.

  Xeq smirked. Does that mean I’m releasing aura as we speak?

  The woman nodded. Indeed. But nothing will come to the temple with these people around. I also released enough of mine to cancel out your outburst. But I won’t keep that shield up for long, as a young dragon you must learn to control it yourself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment