Friday, March 13, 2015

Week Eleven: The Descendant: Finding Skill

The truth was one challenge Elli was able to take. Hearing, seeing, feeling and tasting lies and truths were daily stressors to Elli. In the Arena, Elli didn’t know what to think. She couldn’t judge the obstacle courses based on truths and lies, these were actions and if there was anything Elli hadn’t done in her life it had been taking action. All she had was run away. Analyzing each situation that came across her path and giving her intel was what she was made for, not combat. Annabeth said her mother was the Goddess of war, that would be a nice skill right now. To have war hotwired into her instead of the truth would be an interesting gain.
 Nico watched as Elli fanatically dodged and ran through the obstacle course. He knew not to ask the Aries kids to bring out too much trouble since she had never been a true battle. Besides, the Goddess of truth didn’t seem to show herself in any of Nico’s travels. He was beginning to wonder if the Goddess was real. But, Elli wouldn’t have been able to see Nico the way she had if the Goddess wasn’t. Unless, Elli was that observant and if she would use that observant talent of hers, she might last in a capture the flag game. Shaking his head, Nico disagreed with himself. Elli wasn’t a warrior. She seemed to like the life she had being a criminal investigator. Maybe that was her call.
 Not much happened at Camp Half Blood, some items were stolen, some relationships wavered, tricks were played but nothing as serious as murder came across Camp without serious measures being taken. Either way, if a death was to take place, Nico would know. He had a second nature about situations like that.
 Anguish approached Nico with a smirk. Nico looked at him with a shrug and they both looked at Elli who was desperately dodging and rolling.
 “You said she’s never been a fight?” Anguish asked.
 Nico shook his head. “Always running, never fighting.”
 Anguish shrugged. “She’s going to be killed in this weeks in Capture the flag if no one helps her.”
 Nico looked at Anguish in interest. “Why don’t you?”
 Anguish smirked. “I didn’t know if you’d be okay with my type of training.” He admitted. “I’m more of a hands on guy.”
 Nico knew Anguish had many deaths in his life. He respected him for being able to handle those deaths as smooth as he had. But, he didn’t know if Anguish could handle the truth. Nico shrugged, could anyone possibly handle ‘the truth’?
 Anguish wanted for a response and as he did he observed the new recruit. Her long brown hair followed her movement. She wasn’t quick but she was able to dodge in time. The girl didn’t look powerful, she didn’t seem aggressive either. If a real fight, he would want her to be a scout or maybe even someone to help keep everyone together but she had no place on the front line.
 “I’m supposed to be guiding her.” Nico shrugged. “I haven’t taken her to the armory, the forge, the stables or the fields.”
 Anguish shook his head. “Those can wait. If she can’t even pass a simple obstacle course, how do you think she’d do with an actual weapon in her hand?”
 Nico nodded. “Tucker told me watch over her, I trust that you won’t leave too many bruises?”
 Anguished laughed. “Compared to what she’s already done to herself with that dodge and roll perfection?” Nico and Anguish both grinned. “No, I won’t leave one bruise that’s not already there.”
 Calling her to the side, Nico couldn’t help but laugh at the heavy breathing Elli was going through as she approached them. She looked angry but happy at the same time. She shook and she was covered in scrapes and bruises.
 She frowned. “I don’t know about this, Nico.” She shook her head. “I don’t think I’m meant to fight. I think I’m meant to stay a detective.” She argued.
 Anguished nodded. “Indeed. You seem like the type.”
 “And you are?” Elli asked surprised at the lack of secrets this guy held.
 “Anguish.” He smirked and held out his hand. “Son of Aries, I’m more of a quick tempered person than one with a short fuse.” He smiled. “I have more patience for those who are willing to learn the art of war than most of my siblings.”
 Elli nodded. “That’s true.” She smiled.
 Nico rolled his eyes and let out a sigh. “Detective.”
 Anguish made a gesture to stop Nico. “Of course it’s true. I don’t have much to hide. Dad likes to keep things simple, why lie about your own personality?”
 Elli smiled. “I like you.” She grinned.
 “And you’re quite interesting yourself.” Anguish grinned. “Now, if you’re going to keep fighting like that I can’t say that you have much of a chance out there on the battle field. Let me show you some tricks that you can use based on what I saw.”
 Elli looked at Anguish in alarm. “Usually I’m the one unraveling people.” She admitted.
 Anguish nodded in agreement. “Probably, but you won’t find much about it. I don’t hold onto my past, I cross over it, and if there’s something on my mind I tend to say it. My father gave me strength but my mother gave me patience. I think it took of them to incorporate a teacher but I believe everyone had their different skills, now, a small introduction and then we get started?”
 Elli nodded. “Elli Triad. Former criminal investigator. Daughter of Aletheia or Veritas depending on how you look at it.”
 “We have siblings of Mars but we consider them roman.” Anguish commented. “Do you not know which your mother is even though the Gods and Goddess have come together as one?”
 Elli shook her head. “I haven’t been ‘claimed’ but I know that I’m her daughter because a pseudologoi told me.”
 Anguish looked at Nico in confusion.
 “A spirit of lies.” Nico explained.
 “Wouldn’t that make it less believable?” Anguish questioned.
 Elli shook her head. “I can sense the truth. Besides, the pseudologoi used people to murder to get my attention. That’s how I know they’re not lying.”
 Anguish looked at Elli with dark eyes. “Oh.” He smirked. “Then we better get you up to date on the way you fight because if you keep going like that…” he gestured toward the obstacle course. “You won’t get very far.”

No comments:

Post a Comment