Sunday, May 3, 2015

II. Week Eighteen: Ice

 Ice crystals covered the streets. In the distance a roar could be heard. With fear in her eyes, Dröfn hurried off to the school where she could find him. If she wasn’t careful, she too would become an ice sculpture.

 Weakly, the man laid on his side. His head pounded from the ride to his unknown destination. Some time ago, he was fighting for his life. Now, he was alive but not well. His muscles aches, his wrist were raw from the rope that was fastened around them. Slowing his breath, he closed his eyes and set indian style. If he was going to be locked up in this horrid place he might as well spend the time the fastest way he could. Listening for anything and everything, the man honed in on relaxing his aching muscles. There was no sense in focusing on the pain. If he did then that would only cause him more.

 From what the man collected, he was underground. There were people standing guard at his door, which made him laugh considering the fact that they honestly thought that escaping was his first priority. Rats scurried about at the floor of the cell and water quietly dribbled in a beat. He couldn’t be anywhere far from the city. With all the racket from above the man knew that he was being hidden in the clear to make it harder on his rescuer.

 Waking up in a cold sweat, Baharam checked the time as he caught his breath. Seeing it flash for his waking hour he sat up in despair. Another dream lost and another pounding heart to wake him frustrated him once more. Letting the blanket slip off him, he sat upright for a moment to attempt to remember his dream. Seeing his breath in the air, he shook his head. The cold didn’t bother him. It was the knowledge that the air compresser had gone out again.

 Entering the kitchen, Bahram sighed in seeing a note on the table with no breakfast.

 Be Back in a jif, lad! -Saint George

Smoothing down the paper, Bahram analyzed the writing. Saint George has his ways of encrypting messages. The message was written quickly and not in his fancy ink pen that he loved to write in. By the time Bahram would get this he’d be on the way to school and Saint George would be home by the time he had returned. Unless, Saint George left earlier and thought he’d be back before he waked and left the message here for him in case he didn’t.

 Sighing, Bahram slipped the paper in his bag and headed out. Feeling the warmth from sun, Bahram shook his head. Should he call the guy to come fix the air compressor when he finished or wait until Saint George got back? Contemplating this, he headed on his way feeling his own anxiety slip into his stomach.

 Embrassing Mikey and placing a small kiss on his cheek, Dröfn held his tightly. Paintly, she waited as he finished a conversation with his friend named Tucker. Rubbing her cheek against his back, she wondered if he did this to provoke her. Any chance he got, he was with Tucker. Then again, every moment he wasn’t with him, he was with her. Finally, turning to look at her, Mikey smirked.

 “I was wondering where you went.” He said with a smile.

 Meeting his sparkling eyes, Dröfn quickly frowned in remembering why she had come back and changed into a school uniform. Seeing the change, Mikey smirked. “What is it?” He asked. “Mad that you left so I hung out with my friends?”

 Rolling her eyes, Dröfn shook her head. “I don’t stop you from hanging out with your friends!” She insisted.

 Thinking of the countless adventures they had together, Mikey nodded. “Sure you don’t.”

 Letting go of him and crossing her arm, Dorn frowned. “Hmph. No! Your friend Tucker’s the only one brave enough to hang around you when you’re with me.” She said while she stuck her nose in the air.

 Laughing, Mikey shook his head. “Are you going to tell me why you suddenly appeared again, or are you going to keep your head up and ignore me again?” He smirked.

 Thinking of the ice, Dröfn lowered her head and met Mikey’s eyes in concern. “There’s ice on the streets.” She said with her arms behind her back. “I’m afraid there’s something out there.” She said, hoping that he’d believe her.

 Shrugging, Mikey watched as Tucker returned to the table that they usually sat at. “Why don’t we go sit over there and talk about how the weather here in London is?”

 “It’s true!” She exclaimed now on her aggravated side. “It hasn’t hit this side of town yet but I’m afraid that if it does I won’t be able to protect you.” She frowned, now looking outside to watch the window ice over.

 Watching the ice crawl up the windows in amusement, Mikey looked at Dröfn and shrugged. “Looks like you’ll be needing a jacket.” He smirked, I have one in my locker if you’d like.” He shrugged.

 Shaking her head, Dröfn embraced Mikey in fear. “What if I freeze?”! She questioned with terror in her eyes. “You wouldn’t let me freeze would you?”!

 Shaking his head and rubbing her back, Mikey sighed. “No, I won’t let you. All you have to do is stay inside.” He smiled. “Then whatever is causing that outside won’t get to you.”

 Still afraid, Dröfn watched fear spread through other students. Burying her face into his chest, Dröfn hugged Mikey tightly.

 “Are you two sure you’re not attached by the hip?” Tucker laughed as he approached his best friend. “Looks like we’ll be trapped in here till further notice.” He shrugged, looking at the windows.

 Holding Dröfn, Mikey smirked. “Sometimes I wonder if we are.” He shrugged silently wishing she would let go.

 “I should call my father. I’ll probably be more safe with him.” Dröfn smirked, allowing distance in between herself and Mikey.

 Shaking his head, Tucker looked back at the window. “I don’t think that’s the safest idea.” he shrugged. “Icy roads can be dangerous and besides, maybe it’ll clear up by the time school’s out.”

 Letting go of, Mikey Dröfn turned to shake her head. “It won’t.” She frowned. “My daddy will come and get me and I’ll be safe.” She smiled. “Just you watch!”

 Watching her head towards the office, Mikey shrugged. “Let her be. She’ll come to her sense eventually.”

 “If you say so.” Tucker shrugged. “Sometimes I wonder question her, mate.”

 Mikey nodded. “I’m going out where her and that’s all I do.” Mikey laughed. “You’re not the only one.”

 Walking towards their next class, Tucker shook his head. “That’s not what I mean.” He smirked.

 Clicking his mask into place, Mikey turned to Tucker in confusion. “Then what did you mean?”

 “I don’t know.” Tucker started, pausing as he thought to himself. “Sometimes when I see her with you she looks a tad blue, not like sad blue but literally, her skin gives off this blue tint.” Tucker said shaking his head. “I know I sound crazy but it’s true. That and how she always disappears and reappears conveniently.” Shrugging to himself, Tucker put on a fake smile. “I don’t know man, she’s weird is all. Not in a bad way but she makes me think.”

 “Makes you think what?” Mikey asked as they reached the split in the hall.

 “I mean…” Tucker sighed. “Don’t worry about it, mate. I can see why you fancy her, physically but she’s different. Something about her seems off.” He shrugged. “But that’s my speculation.”

 Returning the fake smile, the realize that Tucker couldn’t see it, Mikey nodded and then walked towards his class. If Tucker could see it, then who else could?

 Entering the girls bathroom, Dröfn locked the stall and brought forth a spear of water. Looking into it, she saw her sisters, her mother, and her father all gather in the main room. Noticing, her father turned to face her and crossed his arms.

 “WHAT IS IT, DOLL?” He asked, his face unamused.

 “What’s going on father?” She questioned, thinking of the ice. “There’s ice on the streets and windows and…!” She exclaimed as she shook her head. “There’s ice everywhere! Get it to stop!”

 Sighing, Ægir took a moment to check what Dröfn was panicking about then turned to her again. “A DRAGON.” He shrugged. “THERE SEEMS TO BE ONE WANDERING THE CITY.”

 Gasping, Dröfn shook her head in disbelief. “I thought Mikey was the only dragon in London!”

 “DEAREST, ARE YOU CALLING ME A LIAR?” Ægir questioned, his arms crossed.

 “No, father.” Dröfn sighed. “But if it’s doing this why haven’t we been able to hear anything?”

 “MUST BE TRAINED WELL.” Ægir shrugged. “OH, I DON’T KNOW BLASTED DAUGHTER OF MINE. YOU FIGURE IT OUT. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ME.”

 “Uh!” Dröfn frowned. “Of course it does father! It involved, Mikey, which means you have to do something to help him fight this other dragon or help him tame it!”

 “I DO NOT CARE FOR THIS DRAGON OR THAT DRAGON. HE IS A SLAVE AND HE IS TO DO WHAT HE IS TOLD. THAT IS ALL. I DO NOT BABYSIT THE PEOPLE I CURSE, MY BELOVED.”

 Exclaiming in frustration, Dröfn firmly squeezed her hands. “Then at least get me out of here so I don’t freeze!” She exclaimed.

 “Even if your father gets you out of there, the boy still has the necklace so if it freezes, so will you.” Rán, Dorfn’s mother, replied, tapping her fingers. “Looks like you’re doomed either way, honey.”

 Annoyed, Dröfn crossed her arms. “He’ll keep it safe!” She defended. “He’s not a bad guy as much as you’d like to think mother.”

 “Whatever suits that empty head of yours, my dear.” Rán shook her head. “Now tell him, then return to us, you should know how by now.”

 Blushing from embarrassment, Dröfn nodded. “Yes, mother.” Seeing her father come into view, Dröfn sighed. “See you in a bit, father.”

 Seeing him nod, Dofn opened the stall and head to Mikey’s classroom. Knocking on the door, she stood looking down at her feet, thinking of what to say.

 Opening the door, the student starred in confusion, as he looked over her in uniform. Without permission, Mikey got up, nodded at the student at the door and excused himself. As he closed the door behind him, he smirked. “I thought you went home, Dröfn.”

 “I’m about to.” She said, still looking down at the floor. Lifting her head up to look at him, Mikey smiled. “So, what is it? Do you have something to tell me or did you want to see me one more time before you went?”

 Taking his hands in hers, Dröfn looked into Mikey’s eyes. “It’s the ice.” She frowned. “My father told me why it’s all over the place.”

 “Because mother nature said so?” Mikey shrugged.

 “Do not joke about, Frigga!” Dröfn gasped. “Especially since my father disliked the Asgardians for making a fool out of him!”

 Shaking his head, Mikey shrugged. “I’m still learning about your mythology. I hope you realize that.” He smirked.

 Shaking her head, Dröfn frowned. “Frigga, Frigg, Frija, and/or Fricka is the mother of the harvest. Known to all of you as mother nature.”

 Amused, Mikey nodded. “Okay so, because Frigg said so?” He smirked.

 Rolling her eyes, Dröfn continued. “It has nothing to do with her. It has to do with a dragon!” She exclaimed.

 “A dragon…?” Mikey looked at her in surprised. “There’s another dragon here?”

 “Apparently.” Dröfn sighed. Giving him a longing look, Dröfn pulled him in closer. “I can head home, but that necklace that my father gave you will still be in effect so please keep it safe.”

 Leaning in for a kiss, Mikey pulled away with a smile. “I’ll keep it in it’s liquid state.” he grinned. “But you’re going to have to tell me more about this dragon your father mentioned.”

 “He didn’t tell me much.” She smirked. “He told me that the dragon’s lurking the streets and has skills since we haven't heard it stomping through the city. Maybe check that magical box that can bring you images from another location?”

 Laughing to himself, Mikey corrected her. “You mean, a T.V?”

 “Whatever it is.” She blushed in embarrassment. “I have to go now, it’ll be safer for me as long as I’m there.”

 Turning to head back to escape, Mikey smirked. Letting go of her hand, he watched her walk down the hall then returned to his class. Rolling her eyes, the teacher shook her head and continued on with her lecture.

 Another dragon? But wouldn’t he be able to sense it? Then again, he still had a hard time sensing Vile and Xeq. Sighing, he looked down at his notes and continued to write what he thought was important. First a dragon slayer now another dragon? How many more crazy events would show up before Xeq or Vile came back from whatever they were doing back home?

No comments:

Post a Comment