Friday, May 1, 2015

Week Eighteen: The Descendant: An Uneven Scoreboard

  Sure enough, once Frank and Court hit the fork in the road, Michael appeared with ecstatic looks. He wasn’t armed but with Michael’s linebacker build he might as well be. He grinned at Court and shook hands with Frank and continued on his way.

  “You two seriously go at it when you cross swords.” Frank commented and Court nodded.

  “We take our rivalry very serious.” Court grinned.

  Putting up his arm, Frank laughed. “I wouldn’t put it past you two to take me out in close combat.”

  Court shook his head. “Don’t say that Zhang because Mars might take that as a laughing matter and make you take us both on with some extra juice.”

  Zhang shook his head. “I rather stay at peace.”

  “As would I.” Court sighed. “According to the dream this quest won’t be easily comparable to the others.” He frowned. “There was even a threat that I might not come back.”

  Frank hit Court arm with a light swing. “Don’t worry about it until you get it. It’s the weekend. Maybe we should go somewhere.”

  Court laughed. “And bail out on my afternoon brawl with Michael? He’d cry.”

  Frank smiled. “We’ll be back before he knows it.”

  Court smirked. “Tomorrow Zhang. I’ll show you around San Francisco.”

  “Yea…” Frank said with a smirk. “That’d be a good idea if you were older.” Frank shrugged.  “Aren’t you younger than me?”

  “Your point?” Court questioned in wonder.

  “I don’t have my license.” Frank laughed. “How are we supposed to get around?”

  Court laughed. “Oh, that’s easy I can get my uncle or someone to take us around. Would that be too much of a hassle?”

  Frank shrugged. “I guess not.”

  Entering the Barracks, multiple Lares stood around bamboozled at the sight. Frank sighed. And Court gestured that he would handle the situation. Stepping towards, the Lares, Court’s eyes flash a golden and then back to his normal brown. Hovering out of the room, the Lares left at first with startled looks in their eyes and then they continued out in a single file conga line.

  “How’d you?” Frank looked at Court in surprise.

  “Like I said, you can’t know everything about a guy.” He grinned and then took a dagger in his hand. “You don’t want to lose to anyone in close combat praetor, especially with one bar on that arm of yours.” Court grinned. “What do you say, practice round?”

  “With daggers?” Frank said taking the dagger from Court’s hand.

  Court smiled even wider. “Oh no, I’ll have a sword.”

  “Say what?” Frank said with a dodge. “Not cool.” He said blocking the second swing.

  “Ah,” Court grinned. “Want to take this outside?”

  Frank half smiled. “You’ll win.”
  Court shook his head. “I’ll make it look like a tutorial. You do need to know how to use a dagger. They’re small but they can take out a sword.”

  Exiting, Frank followed behind Court. “The blade is small but you can use it to your advantage, when I swing block and bring it down towards me. Does that makes sense?”

  Frank nodded. As the swing came, Frank blocked it, hard and pulled back his hand then dodged. Court shook his head.

  “Control, Zhang, I know you’re an archery kind of guy but I have to say, we can all learn.”

  The second swing came faster and Frank countered, this time disarming Court. Other demigods and legacies stopped to watch and gasp at the sight. Complementing him, Court bent down to retrieve his sword and this time swung faster, countering it, but this time not with the dagger, Court laughed.

  “I forgot about your shape shifting skills Zhang.” Court grinned

  “I can use a spear too, Court.” Zhang said returning to his old self. “If I’m ever in need of more dagger training I’ll turn to you.”

  “I’m a duel wielder with swords.” Court grinned “And if you haven’t seen me and Michael go at it, I suggest you watch this afternoon.”

  “For now, lunch doesn’t sound too bad, how about we do that first?” Frank suggested.

  Court nodded. “You’ll need that skill, watch.”

  Frank smirked. “I don’t doubt that.”

  Facing Michael, Court grinned. Michael came with a single sword today. Raising an eyebrow, Micheal saw the dagger at Court’s side. Looking at Zhang, Frank nodded and stood with the crowd. Michael could hear bets being place and even saw Reyna in the background. Both praetors knew that the two weren’t going to harm each other and if they did it wouldn’t be bad. The score was two to one and this was Michael’s change to get even.

  Unsheathing his sword, Michael grinned. “Ready, Court?”

  “You bet, lover boy.” Court smirked.

  Michael wince. “I think you should leave the courting to me.” He grinned.

  Court shook his head and then drew one sword. Michael raised an eyebrow. “Only one?”

  Court grinned. “I’d like to see you take this dagger from me and then we can talk.”

  Michael grinned. “I guess we’re not talking.”

  Taking a step in, Court and Michael clashed swords, the extra strength behind Michael’s attack was stomped into the ground. Court could feel his arm vibrate from the shock. Taking a step back, Michael silently grinned. He was enjoying himself. Who knew lover boy could be so kinky? Court thought to himself as he went in for a swing. Another forceful shock slammed into the ground. Michael didn’t need the dagger. This time, he was using his pure strength.

  Court knew that he wasn’t stronger than Michael. Court didn’t want to be stronger than Michael. All he wanted was to win at this rivalry. Swords sparking once more, Michael slid his sword down the side of Court’s the exact way Court had taught Frank before lunch. Countering it with dagger. The sword clattering to the ground, Court grinned. Michael wouldn’t control his strength, not in this fight and that was what Court was counting on. Slapping the sword away with his palm, Court grinned at Micheal's reaction to the dagger as it was pressed to his throat. About to use his strength,Micheal froze, feeling the cold sword on the back of his neck.

  “Looks like it’s three to one.” He smiled. “You’re getting a bit rusty my friend.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment