Sunday, April 26, 2015

II. Week Seventeen: Compromise

 Flint’s eyes shimmered a crimson red. Gripping his fist, he turned away from his long known best friend. Moments ago, the two were walking silently to Gywne’s. Now that she was safe and out of the way the two had nothing to stop them except the obvious.


 For once Vile didn’t feel anger. He knew, and Flint also know, but that wasn’t the problem. The problem was the fact they never admitted it to each other. That silent so called ‘treaty’ they had was no longer intact if it ever was. Eyes shimmering the oceanic blue, Vile steady his breath. This whole time, Flint had his power under control and now, that aura was leaking.


 Finding nothing to stall about, Vile sighed. “Your cousin came down here because you’re not doing your job.” He smiled to himself. “How long did it take for you to realize that I was one of your prey?”


 Flint squeezed his fist. “My place.” He replied. “Follow me.”


 Shaking his head, Vile let out a low growl. “Answer me.”


 “Let’s talk on the way and then when we get there I might be able to answer more questions reasonably.” Flint commanded, making Vile’s head perk up.


 “Did you just-” He said, letting out another deep breathe. “If you want me to cooperate you’re going to have to let me choose whether or not I want to follow you, Slayer.”  


 “We’re not hostile yet, Vile. You’ve been to my house before, you know every inch of it. Why doubt me now?”


 “Oh do I?” Vile nodded, then turned to taking a step towards Flint. “Then if there’s nothing to hide at your house, why not answer my question?”


 Sighing, Flint walked a few paces before replying to Vile’s surfacing anger. “You can’t tell me you didn’t know.” Flint argued, stopping in his tracks to look back at Vile.


 Meeting Flint’s crimson red eyes with his own oceanic blue, Vile shook his head. “When did you realize I was a dragon?” He snarled.


 Frowning, Flint’s eyes reflected the mixture of his feelings. “I didn’t want to believe it.” He replied, his voice volume lowering. “So I didn’t see it until Luis nagged me about it.” Flint sighed. “You’re my best friend, Vile, I would never kill you.” He said as his fist tightened.


 “But you have killed before, haven’t you?” Vile said, shaking his head. “I can smell it in your aura.”


 “Should I have the honor of that?” Flint joked dryly as he continued to walk. “Please, Vile, if we do end up breaking into a fight I don’t want it to be where everyone can see.”


 Again, Vile shook his head. “The way you viewed me.” He said as slowly followed Flint. “You and I both had a feeling but we both pushed it away. Interesting how blind we can make ourselves.”


 “It’s all about perception.” Flint agreed, his hands to his sides. “People see what they believe to be true.” Flint sighed. “But I assure you, being my best friend wasn’t a lie.” He frowned, his pace quickening.


 Steady his own pace, Vile nodded. “We were six when the revolution hit. Were you really there in New York?”


 Approaching the backyard fence, Flint nodded. “Indeed.” Sighing, he put his hand on the lock. “Now that you know, you shall see.” He smirked, unlocking the gate and holding it open for Vile to step through.


 “Dragon Slayers aren’t born,” Vile said as he stood at the entrance, “They’re raised.” He said turning to face Flint. “Sorry to say but I don’t wish to enter before you.”


 Nodding, Flint took a step in front of the gate. “Then close it when you do come in.” He smirked.


 Stepping to the side, Vile watched as Flint took the lead once again. Once insides, Vile looked around, sensing no danger, Vile followed and shut the gate behind him.


 “She said that she’s going out with you.” Vile sighed, his eyes reverting to their sea green. “I knew that she had a boyfriend but neither of you told me until then…” He frowned. “If I had known, I would’ve backed off.”


 Shaking his head, Flint’s eyes revert to their red orange. “I wanted to tell you.” He said as he began to pace. “But she insisted that she wanted to, when the time was right.”


 “Her sense of the right timing has an interesting definition.” Vile spoke more to himself than to Flint. “Tell me, could you sense that Hydra?”


 Meeting Vile’s gaze, Flint nodded. “I sensed it.” Seeing a darkness in Vile’s eyes, Flint quickly added. “But the only way dragon slayer who had ever killed a Hydra was Heracles, the only hero to become immortal.”


 “Immortal.” Vile laughed. “Would you ever?” Vile questioned.


 Flint shook his head. “No.” He said nodding to himself in assurance. “I made a vow that day.” He frowned. “During the revolution.”


 Approaching him, Vile gestured for the two to sit on the stone wall that had been placed to outline Flint’s mother’s garden. Taking the seat, Flint looked out towards the fence.


 “I vowed to kill one dragon every year to keep my family safe and the world safe.” Flint said, his hands quivering. “I’ve taken twelve dragon’s lives, Vile.” He said as he turned towards his best friend. “Some may have deserved it and other may not have but I still killed them.” He sighed. “I never imagined I could be such good friends with one, neverless family…” Looking up at the sky, Flint began to play with the blade of grass that were to his side.


 “Family?” Vile looked at Flint in amusement. “Didn’t know dragon slayers meshed with dragons.”


 “Luis.” Flint said shaking his head. “I didn’t think of it before. I never thought about it. I’ve been so blind…” Flint looked down at his hands thinking of all the blood that had caressed them. “Though Dragon Slayers may be a profession it still has it’s genetics to it. Luis’ parents ended the war on both sides. His father-”


 “Luis the sixth.” Vile recalled. “Wrote the treaty and his beloved tricked the metal dragon to sign it by trying to kill her but instead his slash indicated a signature. He cursed and said the next time the treaty won’t mean anything.”


 Flint nodded. “Luis is the seventh now. I was careless. I was in charge of watching over him at that time. It was my first time to kill anything.” He frowned. “Here alone I can sense you, your brother, him, and someone at the edge of my surveillance.”


 “So you’re saying there are four dragons in Texas based on your radius?” Vile spoke in amusement.


 “Basically.” Flint shrugged. “Who knows how many more have taken refuge here. The same goes for Alaska. No slayer can watch over that much land alone. He or she must have a partner.”


 “There are female slayers?” Vile questioned.


 “There are female dragons aren’t there?” Flint laughed to himself. “Why wouldn’t there be any female slayers?”


 “Well, considering that I haven’t done much research on the profession I don’t have much of a say but aren’t most recorded slayers men?”


 “All recorded slayers are men.” Flint agreed. “But that doesn’t mean there aren’t any female slayers.” Flint smirked. “I know a few. They aren’t to be taken lightly.”


 Vile nodded. “Still. Me and my brother have been here for years without a single attack from a slayer. Why is that?”


 “Because of Zamer.” Flint smiled. “She masked over you two’s auras. This is her territory and no one questions that. She always watches over our city though. She has enough aura to cover us and our neighboring states probably more if she wanted.”


 “Makes sense.” Vile smirked. “So technically there’s only one dragon in Texas? The one at your border?”


 “No.” Flint smirked. “There are more but I don’t go after them until something terribly wrong happens which isn’t a good indicator but I now that my vision is clear I’d rather you help me warn them instead.”  


 “Warn? Other males?” Vile laughed to himself. “Don’t think they’ll take that lightly that you’ll be choosing specifics.”


 “I wo-” Flint started but stopped as both Vile and Flint’s eyes illuminated. “They’re here.” Flint said in confusion. “But why?”
--


 Cleaning the dish at hand, Xeq listened to the conversation between Luis and Zamer. For a sixteen year old, Xeq had to hand it to the kid, he had experience in speech craft but Zamer was the Phoenix and what she said was set in stone. The kid was fighting a hopeless battle.


 “You heard her kid.” Xeq said as he placed the dry dish on the rack. “Me and my brother are under protection here. Any dragon is unless they attack on, then they’re in trouble.” He smirked, thinking about his new heart. “Your treaty doesn’t apply in this city. Consider everywhere else as a problem but we’re not violent.”


 Luis shook his head. “There were no dragons in New York. Until I found one and killer her because of my instincts. What I’m trying to get at-” He paused to look at Xeq. Nodding, Xeq filled in the blank for him. “Xeq.”


 “Yea…” He shrugged. “Is that what if it’s not about being the profession. What if it’s in our blood somehow?”! He exclaimed. “I’ve always been taught that we were raised not born but that’s hard to believe considering that I know of more than one occasion when a slayer went berserk.”  


 “Your business with me is about the treaty and I’ve made it clear that Xeq and Vile do not fall under that category but I have to ask.” Zamer said, her arms crossed and her eyes on Luis’ “Why complain to me, yet break the treaty while you visit?”


 Luis stared into Zamer’s eyes. “There are pairs of dragons in this state. There are dragons without a pair in this state without including your fiance and his brother. You can’t tell me that I’m breaking the treaty by coming here.”


 Drying a plate in his hands, Xeq faced Luis in curiosity. Eyes glossing over, Xeq raised an eyebrow. “Well,” Xeq smiled. “How have you kept yourself under control for the past three years?”


 “Control?” Luis repeat, his teeth baring. “I’ve haven’t had any issues until now. That’s why I was going to go for Flint for help but it turns out he’s buddy-buddy with a dragon and not only that, the dragon has a brother.”


 Shrugging, Xeq put the plate on the rack and started to clean the sink. “If it makes you feel better we adopted him.” Xeq smirked.


 “No wonder I couldn’t sense the relation between you two.” Luis realized. “But that’s not the only reason.” Luis shook his head. “There’s something different about you, Xeq. Mind sharing?”


 Returning to the table, Xeq shrugged. “You could say that I’m born anew.” He shrugged. “Which isn’t a complete lie.”


 “What type of dragon are you?” Luis questioned, his eyes beginning to change into his dragon’s form.


 “I was born as a dragon of the sky then a few complications happened now I’m immortal and can’t breath fire as far as I know.” He smirked. “But my skin is still the same, I can take a blast of fire any day. I should probably be a fireman in my free time.” He grinned to his own joke.


 Luis rolled his eyes at the joke. “Look if you can help me I’d be grateful. My grandfather thinks that I’m here to help Flint with his dragon problem which…” Luis sighed. “Well, to other slayers this is a problem. But more importantly, I looked over New York for the past sixteen years, I could sense every creature in its premisses. My grandfather said if I ever sensed a dragon I’d see it coming but…” He frowned.


 “Must’ve been a late bloomer.” Xeq shrugged. “Truthfully, I only know of a few dragons but I know there are more. Aside from me and my bother there’s one in England we’re helping, we wouldn’t mind helping you but this whole keeping the treaty is nonsense. I know your parents gave up their life for it but i think while we still have our chance we should be getting ready for the next war. This year may be of the water dragon but they might not be as friendly as they sound.”


 “According to her, before you got here.” Luis said, gesturing at Zamer. “You hardly know anything about your kind. If you hardly know anything how did you know about what year it was?”


 “Write it on my assignments every day?” Xeq joked. “I’ve been studying abroad as one would call it.” He smirked. “I’ have lessons in china and I plan to go back next week.” He said, thinking of Xi. “There’s a lot I need to learn. Especially since this battle with the metal dragon isn’t only about western dragons, the metal dragon is eastern.”


 “Whatever that means.” Luis sighed. “I’ll be enrolling in school here for a year to help Flint. I wasn’t only here about the treaty I was here to ask the Phoenix for permission to be in her city till I got myself under control.” He frowned. “I don’t want to kill another dragon unless I have to.”


 Xeq nodded. “Same here, kid.” He smirked. “Tell me, was that the first time you lost control?”


 “No.” Luis shook his head. “It has been happening all year but somehow I manage to be all the right places to where people are safe from me.”


 Smiling, Xeq looked to Zamer. “I’ll take him in if you let him stay.” Xeq shrugged.


 Zamer smiled. “That won’t be necessary, love, he’ll be with Flint.” She grinned. “He’ll probably spend more time with your brother than he will with you since you won’t be here as often as I’d like.”


 Xeq smirked. “Maybe one day you can come with me to China when you get good enough to fly.” Xeq grinned.


 Luis shrugged. “There aren’t many dragon slayers in the east.” He smirked. “I don’t think I’m welcomed.”


Laughing, Xeq shook his head.”You should have head one of my newest teachers when i crash landed. She wasn’t very fond of my navigating skills.”


 At that, Luis smiled. “Maybe some day. But my grandfather can’t handle New York for more than a year since he’s retired. I can’t say I can come visit that often once our year is up.”

 “Then we better get working then.” Xeq smirked, eyeing Luis’ chocolate brown eyes. He seemed to change subtly, for a late bloomer, Xeq was quite thankful for the cap.

No comments:

Post a Comment