Friday, April 24, 2015

Week Seventeen: The Descendant: A Roman Centurion

  Michael Kahale shook Court’s hand. Court hadn’t gotten through the Roman War Games without a scratch but he did come out to be more successful than Michael had imaged. Since Octavian’s death and even before Court had spoken to Michael about the matter. Court was a good soldier but Michael had his doubts about being centurion but this had been the First Cohort’s third win since Court had been appointed centurion.

  Court had always been in the background. Michael knew of Court’s abilities the moment he had arrived from the Wolf House. Now, Court stood by his side leading the Cohort. Michael had the senior status which held Court in line but Michael knew he’d trust Court if something were to happen to him.  

  “If you’re free for the weekend we could get to know each other better.” Michael grinned and Court rolled his eyes. “Don’t use any of your Venus magic on me Kahale, I’d gladly sword fight with you any day.” Court said as he felt a stir in his stomach.

  “I’ll take that as a challenge tomorrow afternoon?” Michael grinned.

  Court shook his head. “Wouldn’t be the first and will never be the last.” He said as he left Michael’s room to let him sleep. Entering his own, Court’s eyes flashed. His stomach turned. Disappearing into the night, he turned to face her.

  “Mother.” He said with a bow. “What brings you here?”

  “You have been called to action my son,” The woman in a black dress smiled. “Be ready.”

  “As I always have been.” He said as he looked down at the shield burned into his arm. Bellow it were nine bar line to prove his years of service in the legion and above were the letters SPQR.

  “I trust this task upon you,” She smiled. “My beloved son, do not fail me.”

  Court looked up at his mother with slight hurt in his eyes. “You doubt me, mother?”

  “Your opponent is strong and if weak, strong willed. You must take them out. For they defy the order in this world.”

  Court bowed. “Yes, mother.”
--

 Court took a tour around the camp once more. Soon, he’d being going on a quest. On the inside, he knew that the slight chance of never seeing his home would make him bicker. In the afternoon, a challenge awaited against his new rival Michael Kahale. Sometimes Court wondered how a guy that talented ended up with Venus as a mother but he didn’t protest against it. Court couldn’t image how Michael would be under Mars’ rule. Court shook the feeling off. Kahale was a good guy, as he called Court a good solider, Court called him a good solider as well.

  Taking a right, Court took a stroll toward the Jupiter Optimus Maximus. He wasn’t planning on giving an offering but he had the feeling that he wanted to check the place once more. Crossing the bridge, Court bowed to Reyna Avila Ramirez-Arellano one of the praetors of the legion. Holding up her hand to tell him to rise, he did.

  “I understand the respect you have for me,” She said with a stern nod. “But please, a handshake will do.”

  Court smiled and held out his hand. “May I?”

  Argentum and Arum sat down seeing the gesture. Reyna looked down at them in amusement and then took Court’s hand.

  “You and Michael are at it again, this afternoon?”

  Court grinned. “I think he wants to make it a weekly challenge.”

  “The score so far?” She asked with an eyebrow raised.

  “Two to one.” Court grinned.

  Reyna nodded in amazement. “I didn’t take you for the skilled typed against Michael but I’m guessing not everything is known with a simple glance.”

  “If you paid more attention to me during the War Games you’d notice my abilities.” Court smirked, even though he hardly use his special abilities during battle.

  Reyna smiled a small smile. “That, Court.” She paused. “I will.”

  Wagging their tails Arum and Argentum took to Reyna’s sides as she went her way. Walking passed the temple of Pluto, Court grinned to the sight of the newest praetor, Frank Zhang. To his surprise, the girl that was always with him was not at this moment.

  “Zhang.” Court said as he approached him at Mars temple.

  “Court.” Frank said, turning to face him. “What brings you here?”

  Court shrugged, there was no sense in lying. “I wanted to see the place before I went on my quest.” Court explained. “I don’t know what it is yet or if I’m to go alone or not but I do know that I had a dream about a quest last night.”

  Frank nodded and gestured for Court to sit down. Frank was two years older than Court. He remembered the baby face that Zhang used to have and now, after the toll with Gaea he had changed.

Court hardly knew anything about Frank but he did know that Frank had an aura of experience in the past year.

  “You don’t have to tell me.” Frank assured giving a slight nod. “I come here every now and then to clear my head. Even though my father isn’t one of the most peaceful coming here can always give me some time to myself.”

  Court nodded. “Penates is the God of the household.” He said pointing to the shield. “Being the son of a guard doesn’t always come with its peacefulness.”

  Frank nodded. “But even so, I wish you luck.” He said with a smile.

  “I will accept that.” Court grinned. “By the way,” He shrugged. “Excuse me for not knowing the daughter of Pluto’s name but where is she?”

  Frank shrugged. “I believe her and Reyna were going somewhere to ease the tension from our last battles. Hazel really wants to get to know her since they haven’t had many memories.”

  “Ah.” Court said with a smile. “Girl time.”

  Frank nodded. “Yea, that.”

  “Well,” Court shrugged. “If it’s not too much trouble, would you like to accompany me on my trip around the Camp?” He asked with a small smirk. “If you’re with me, Michael might not be so willing to follow.”

  Frank laughed. “You honestly think Michael likes you like that?”

  Court shrugged. “You can never know everything about a guy.” He grinned as Frank followed him out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment