Friday, April 17, 2015

Week Sixteen: The Descendant: A Time To Rest

  Elli looked around the camp in fright. Did her mother ask her to bring back Prometheus? Elli stood in the center of the Greek Gods’ children. The situation might have worked different if she was at the Roman Camp but then again, there might had been another story through the Romans too. Elli’s eyes began to water.

  She knew how to run. But a whole a camp ready to take her down all because the Gods said so? Elli tightened her grip on the silver mirror her mother had given her. She could see the truth through the mirror. There was something tracking her and now she had been thrown against the Greek Gods.

  A hand touched Elli’s fist that had formed around the mirror. “It’ll be okay.” A sweet voice said and Elli almost believed her.

  “Piper.” Elli said in fear. “Did you try to bend the truth to me?”

  Piper met Elli’s eyes. “Sometimes we need to be reassured is all.”

  “Reassured with lies?” Elli shook her head.

  Annabeth’s hand touched Elli’s as well. “Okay, Piper promises no more charm speaking on you.”

  Piper smirked and then nodded. “Promise.”

  Elli shook her head. Her inner security system sounded the alarm. Sure, her mother had claimed her but he also discriminated her. Elli’s hot tears began to fall. She accepted the truth. She felt the truth. She knew the truth. She didn’t have to like it.

  “It’s second nature to you.” Elli said looking at Piper with a shake of her head. “Asking you to not charm speak is similar to asking Nico not to sense death.”

  She swallowed the lump in her throat. “I know the truth, I can sense it. I can’t stop that.” She shook her head. Unless charm speaking is a choice for you.”

  “It’s an ability of yours.” Piper reassured, holding back the urge to charm speak. “There has to be a way you can turn it off.”

  Elli stepped away from Piper and Annabeth is disdain. “It’s hot wired into me.” She protested.

“There’s nothing that can stop it. You and that other girl you’re thinking about won’t work on me.”

  Annabeth and Piper looked at each other. “What other girl?”

  “Both of you are thinking about her. Wondering if I would react the same…” Elli shook her head.

“Nothing can change the truth. Only a perspective can be changed.”

  The boy with the black short hear and the green eyes who had been with Annabeth stepped forward.

“Hey, Elli, don’t sweat it.” He said with smirk. “Sometimes our abilities freak each other out.” He shrugged. “Some abilities work against and other times abilities can work with each other but it’s nothing to be afraid of.”

 “Says you.” Elli shook her head. “You and him.” She pointed to Jason Grace. “At one point you had tension. I can sense that. Your fathers are wired to dislike each other.” She shook her head. “How did you manage to fall in love with a daughter of Athena if Poseidon and Athena don’t get along? And now here you are with Zeus’s son acting as if you’re best friends.”

  Percy and Jason exchanged glances.

  “It’s true.” Percy said with his hands up.

  “You don’t have to tell me that.” Elli muttered.

  Percy shrugged. “I’m saying that because I want you to know that we know.” 

  Elli looked at Percy in regards. Her inner truth-and-dare-self set off to analyze him along with Jason, Piper, and Annabeth. Reluctantly, Elli turned away to find herself face to face with Nico.

  “I know it’s a lot for you to take in so why don’t we get you some air?” Nico suggested. “There’s nothing wrong with letting them help but after today, if anyone knows that you need simple approaches, it’s me.” He smirked.

  “Chiron, Elli has a certain ability where she can’t control how much information she takes in. All it is to her is ‘truth’ or ‘lie’ and she can sense that with every word someone speaks. She can even sense it before it has been spoken.” Nico smirked. “Is there any way she can stay in a cabin that’s no as crowded?” Nico shrugged. “Like, with Percy, Jason, or myself?”

  Chrion approach the group and reverted back into his Wheelchair form rolling up to Elli. “You must learn how to control your ability. It is a gift, despite what you believe.”

  Elli frowned. “I know what I like and don’t like.” She muttered. “I know the truth but that doesn’t mean I have to like it.” She sighed.

  “Indeed.” Chiron said with a smile. “It seems you and Nico have gotten to know each other well enough. Do you want to stay with him, since he’s offering?”

  Elli looked at Nico de Angelo and then at Will Solace who was more than happy with the plan. Apparently, analyzing one person at a time was a strategy that the two agreed upon for her without her permission. Looking at Chiron, Elli looked back at the group receiving a wave of concern and other messages.

  “I want to get to know them all.” Elli smirked. “But I can’t get to know them all at once.” She shook her head. “Not until I learn how to control this ability of mine anyway…” She sighed. “I never needed to…” Unconsciously she began to toy with the mirror in her hand. 

  “I’ll have to move some of the jewels in my sister’s room. She won’t like it but she’ll understand.” Nico smiled. It was nice to share a cabin with someone again.

  Elli traced her finger on the edge of the mirror. “Chiron?”

  Chiron looked at her in concern, “Yes, Elli?”

  “I’m not directly connected with any of these demigods. I’m a descendant of Prometheus.” She smirked. “I don’t think the Greeks will appreciate me having a cabin with everyone else.”

  Chiron shook his head. “Of course.” He frowned. “But if Aletheia herself claimed you by appearing in front of everyone that means that this is yet another quest that must be attended to.”

  Elli sighed. “On m next birthday I want to go out and get ice cream with my dad, Vas.” Elli said almost in tears looking at Chiron. “Is that okay?”

  Chiron sighed. “We’ll discuss everything tomorrow, for now. We rest.” He assured. 

No comments:

Post a Comment