Sunday, April 19, 2015

II. Week Sixteen: Thanksgiving Dinner

 Entering the kitchen, Xeq wrapped his arms around Zamer laying a lovely kiss on her lips and then continued onto her cheek. Eyes gleaming, Zamer smiled and leaned in for one more as Xeq took the seat next to her.
 
 “So glad you could make in son-in-law.” Zamer’s father grinned, holding out his hand from the other side of Zamer. “Where’s that money I told you to get?”

 “Father!” Zamer frowned, crossing her arms. “Can’t your little wager wait until after diner?”

 Xeq sighed, then looked his going to be father-in-law in the eyes. “Sounds like to me, you actually open up to the idea of us marrying one day.”

 “Proposal accepted.” Zamer’s father grinned. “So when’s the wedding?” He laughed. “And where’s the money?”

 Reaching over to push her father, Zamer continued to frown. “What did I say?” She commented annoyed. “Don’t be rude to our guest like that!”

 “He’s not a guest, honey. He’s my son-in-law and he better hand the money over because he knows what it’s for.” Zamer’s father argued.

 Opening her mouth to retort, Xeq held his hand up to stop Zamer then fished out a key in his pocket and tossed it to his future father-in-law. “Wouldn’t want you to miss dinner over something I handled quite some time ago.” He grinned. “The key enough proof for you…” His grin widened, “Father?”

 Zamer’s father nodded. “Fair enough.” He said as his wife stepped in with the last dish.

 “I hope you all like our choices. I know New York can be quite the culture change compared to Texas but I assure you I tried my best in variety!” Zamer’s mother smiled. “Calamari, Roast Beef, Sweet Rice, Red Curry, Spring Rolls, Green Bean Casserole, and Mashed Taters!” She exclaimed.

 Standing, the visitor bowed in respect. “Thank you, ma’am. But I believe I’m the only visitor to your table. Everyone else here is from in town and I can’t imagine any of them not coming to your table at least once, considering your daughter is the Pheonix of the century.”

 “Which goes without saying is always the reason for visitors.” Nodded Xeq. “Thank you for coming, from so far.” He smirked.

 Nodding, the adolescent extended his hand. “Luis.” He gestured.

 “Xeq.” Xeq replied taking his hand.
 Glancing over the whole table, Luis bowed again. “If it’s not too much to ask may we proceed without exchanging too many handshakes. As I can tell, we all respect each other I do sort of love the smell of this lovely food on the table.”

 A smile appeared on Zamer’s mother’s face. “Oh I believe that’d be fine with the men at this table, don’t you think hun?” She said, eyes gleaming.

 “Don’t think you start any funny business here, Luis.” He warned. “We have our best fighters here tonight as you can see.” He grinned, waving a hand at the table. “These boys have known each other for, who knows how long, they make quite the team protecting my love of a daughter.”

 Luis nodded. “I assure you. I am not here to attack or harm your gorgeous daughter.”
He smirked. “I also know the power of the phoenix first hand because of some family history. I’m alive because of your grandfather.” He said facing Zamer’s father, then turning to Zamer. “Though I do wish, he could’ve saved my parents. I do have to say death is natural and especially during war.”

 “War.”? Xeq questioned. Frowning for a moment. “Your parents were in the Revolution?”

 “My father forced the treaty.” Luis eyed, receiving a surprised look.

 “My apologies, your father went through much trouble to get that treaty set in stone.” Xeq replied, not taking his eyes off Luis. “My condolences.”

 “I was five. Hardly had much of a memory of him other than what my grandfather tells me.” Luis assured. “All I can say is that I can keep his treaty in tact.” He sighed. “Which… I know isn’t always being followed in every state.” He smirked. “What was it again, one dragon of each gender per state?”

 Xeq nodded. “Indeed. Two dragons per state in America, any child must be sent away or wiped clean of their genetics. Canada has a different policy, however. They say peace with the dragons. If that is broken they are banned from their land. Don’t you think that’d be a bit more, reasonable?”

 Luis smirked. “I already met your brother, Xeq.” He nodded toward Vile. “But did you know I’m not only here on political terms?” He questioned, giving Xeq a cold stare.

 “Really?” Xeq sarcastically returned the gesture. “So that means you know Gwyne or Flint some how because I know my brother has never seen you before.”

 “He’s my cousin.” Flint said, stepping in. Zamer watched as Flint’s hands held both Vile and Luis down. “He used to come down more often. You’ve met him before.” Flint smiled his fake smile.

 “Ah.” Xeq grinned, cutting into green bean casserole to grab a section. “Must’ve been quite a bit years since they, Luis.” He said as he placed the green bean casserole on his plate. “Want any?”

 Glancing down at his clearly full plate of food, Luis sighed as he felt Flint’s grip on his arm tighten. “I don’t believe I need any at the moment.” Luis smiled.

 Seeing the slight resemblance between Luis and Flint, Xeq smirked. “I see, you mustn’t leave without trying some, Zamer’s mother aways makes everything from scratch and secrets.” He grinned then winked at Zamer’s mother.

 “I couldn’t agree more!” Zamer’s mother laughed. “What was that you wanted to tell us earlier, Luis.” Her smile grew bigger as she spoke. “Before Xeq walked in?” She paused to think. “Something about the treaty?”

 Luis nodded as he finished his bite. “I sense the treaty is being broken here.” He shrugged. “Not that they would know over the square miles of this place. Texas is bigger than I ever imagined. We are much more populated than we were in 2001. So I wouldn’t be surprised but I have to say…” He shook his head. “There are more than two here, and I have to warn them.” He glanced over at Zamer.”

 “I was hoping you could heed word to them all, if you wouldn’t mind. Afterall, you are more powerful than I am considering they might go after me.” He smirked. “I hear you have quite a history with them.”

 “They are quite peaceful.” Zamer replied with her big smile similar to her mother’s. “I don’t see why I’d have to warn them.”

 “They are still breaking the law.” Luis frowned, putting down his fork. “It’s not me I’m worried about when it comes to slaying.” Luis said, beginning to play with the fork he put down a moment ago. “It’s who else will come that I won’t be able to stop.” He said, sticking the fork in his curry.

 “Dragon Slayer’s are getting this idea in their head.” He said shaking his own. “That the time to act is now instead of…” He sighed. “...Oh I don’t know eleven years ago?”

 “Recently, there were no dragons in New York. Then I found one.” He spat. “She was careless. I hope none of those dragons you know are the same way. I had no intention of killing her.” He said, looking away from his plate. “But I did because that’s who I am.”

 “No.” Flint said while Vile and Xeq exchanged glances. “That’s not who you are Luis. So, you killed a dragon.” Flint expressed. “That doesn’t mean you have to kill anymore.” He smiled. “You know how that works.”

 “Oh do I?” Luis said eyeing his cousin. “Then tell me, cousin.” He smirked. “Why am I sitting at a Thanksgiving dinner with not only one dragon but two?” He wondered.

 Hitting his knee under the table, Zamer’s father grasped everyone’s attention. “Sonny, what did I say about making trouble?” He grinned. “Looks like to me, you’re doing the exact opposite.”

 Tearing his annoyed gaze at Flint, Luis took a bite from his plate then continued. “The point is, I’m nice compared to who’s going to come after you two, Vile and Xeq.” His eyes going from one brother to the next. “So what are you going to do about it?”

 “Rumor has it, the Phoenix is well protected and I can see how.” Luis’ eyes went from the dragon brothers to his own cousin. “But what I can’t get around my head is why she would need any of it.” He smirked, now facing Zamer. “After all, what good is your strength if you don’t use it?”

 Xeq glared, and Zamer smiled. “I heal, dear slayer. Though my grandfather might have saved you and many other while fighting alongside during the revolution that was ended through a treaty I cannot say the same for me.”  Grabbing her empty plate, Zamer placed her dish in the sink then returned to her seat. “We have another sixty years to go before another war breaks out and by then, I assure you.” Zamer smirked. “There will be a new treaty.”

 Gasping, Gwyne looked over at Flint in horror. “You killed a dragon?”! She exclaimed. “Vile...And Xeq…” She shook her head in disbelief. “Are dragons?”! Again, she shook her head, more in panic than disbelief. “A Phoenix is real?” She held her mute gasp and continued to look at everyone at the table in fear. “Dragon Slayers are real?”

 Comically, Luis looked away from Flint as Vile stood up in amusement. “I thought you were the one who was in charge of telling her.” He said to Flint as he shook his head.

 “Me?”! Flint exclaimed. “Why, a bloody dragon couldn’t admit to his best friend that he was a dragon until we so happen to show up to the same dinner table under different circumstances!” Flint retorted. “I knew what you were but you never said to me, that it was my responsibility.”

 “I assumed you knew about you cousin’s arrival and then you got invited to my sister-in-law’s house to eat dinner for some ‘special’ guest.” Vile shook his head, watching carefully for Gwyne’s moment to faint. “Don’t you think you’d put two and two together since it was you were going on a date with her tonight?” He sarcastically grinned.

 “A date…” Flint repeated, as if taking Vile’s words one at a time. Looking up at him in amazement, he smirked. “I never told you me and Gwyne ever went on dates, nevertheless, that we were supposed to have one tonight.”

 “Could you pass me a piece of casserole?” Zamer’s father said to Xeq in a volume under the two’s argument.

 Smiling, Xeq gladly placed some of his father-in-law’s plate. Lifting a finger, Zamer’s father eyed Xeq. Waiting, Xeq watched as Zamer’s father took out a twenty. “Twenty on the new Flint, just because he needs a little push.”

 Placing the twenty at the center of the table, Xeq took a look out in his wallet. “All I have is this Renminbi, I forgot to convert some of that money I made over there before I headed home.” Xeq joked. “Not much here, but will it do?”

 “Put her in there.” Zamer’s father grinned. “I have faith in the boy.”

 Amused, Luis glanced over at the two exclaiming at each other and then at Zamer’s father and Xeq. “Do you know how many dragons he’s actually slain?”

 Xeq shrugged. “Well, considering those two are best friend I have to say that I think his slaying days are over.” He smiled.

 Catching Gwyne, Luis shook held in confusion. Glancing at Xeq and Zamer’s father he silently pleaded for instructions only to receiving two shrugs and sarcastic smiles.

 Vile sighed, biting the inside of his lip. “So I overheard you two talking about it.” He smirked. “But I told you I was busy today so you couldn’t leave her at home, could you?” He rolled his eyes.

 “Not.” Flint shook his head, seeing that Gywne has faint and his more than baffled cousin was eyeing the only other men at the table for advice. “Something we are going to discuss right this minute.” Flint stated sternly. “Rather, we should take this somewhere else, since you are clearly done and so am I.” He said, his head still shaking.

 “Wouldn’t want to fight in front of our family now would we?” Flint gestured towards the door.

 “Over a lady?” Vile laughed. “Wouldn’t imagine us doing something like that.” He smiled, gladly taking Gwyne from Luis.

 Watching the two head towards the door, Xeq called out. “Don’t be out too late!” He exclaimed. “But if you do, you have a key so I’m not worried.”

 Nodding without turning around, Vile continued towards the door.

 “Flint, my boy!” Exclaimed Zamer’s father. Watching him stop briefly, he balled his fist. “Yes, Sir?”

 “Don’t hurt the lad, too bad!” He exclaimed. “Just enough so me and his brother here can announce a winner, okay?”!

 Hearing a subtle laugh from the both of them, Flint shook his head and held the door open for Vile. Watching the door close behind them, Xeq and Zamer’s father high fived and exchanged laughs. Annoyed, Zamer stood. Looking up at her, Zamer’s father watched in wonder as she slapped her hand against his face then turned her attention to Xeq and doing the same to him.

 Smiling, she faced Luis. “Trust me when I say you don’t have to worry about them, those two are practically family. You may not believe it but their bond is stronger than any pari than I’ve ever seen. I’m sure they’ll be a perfect example for your little treaty you’re pressing on.” She grinned. “I think a sixty year renewal can be fast forwarded on paper at least, don’t you think.”

 Sighing, Luis shrugged. “Eleven.”

 “Excuse me?” Zamer questioned, as she smiled at her father and finance who were both rubbing their cheeks.

 “He’s slain eleven dragons.” Luis replied. “I’m surprised that it’s November and flint still hasn’t taken one out for the year. Sorry about this Flint you think he is but he isn’t.” Luis shook his head. “Flint even killed one during the revolution as you want to call it.” Luis smiled. “It’s only a matter of time till he takes your brother too.” He said, facing Xeq.

No comments:

Post a Comment