Friday, April 10, 2015

Week Fifteen: The Descendant: Purpose

 The whole camp stood in silence, weapons drawn, and frozen. In front of Elli was a woman dressed in a silk white gown stood among her. Eyes widened and weapons were sheathed. Turning to face Elli, the woman touched Elli’s face with a light pale finger.
 “My daughter.” She said with light in her eyes. “I am glad you made some friends here.”
 Elli’s eyes turned vicious. “Mom?”! She exclaimed. She couldn’t help it. Out of the fourteen years of her life she had felt abandoned in an orphanage and deep down inside she felt abandoned at every new station she worked in. Now, of all times, her mother decided to show her face.
 The woman stepped back to give Elli space. “You are angry.”
 “Is that how I sound?”! Elli shook her head looking at Nico.
 Nico smirked and nodded. He couldn’t lie to her now, he had an inner urge to try but with the Goddess of Truth on the camp grounds herself... Nico didn’t want to know what the Goddess could to do despite her absence.
 Elli’s eyes busted into tears. “How could you?”! She growled. “After all these years.” She shook her head. “You abandoned me.”
 The woman shook her head. “No,” she protested.
 “No?”! Elli screamed. “I have a good Thirteen years and Three Hundred Sixty Three days to prove your absence.”
 Chiron, the half horse half man held himself back from interfering. Elli could feel the longing that all the campers had. She could feel the abandonment they all felt at one point in their lives. At least the Gods of Olympus spoke to their children. Elli had nothing.
 “You dare think that you have nothing?” The woman said turning her back to Elli and facing the other campers.
 “Elli Triad is my daughter. You are to treat her as neither Roman or Greek for I am truth and truth holds fast to no culture. Truth is of the world.” She declared turning back to face Elli.
 “I gave you a gift. You should be happy.” The woman said sternly.
 “I wanted a family.” Elli said in tears. “I have no memory of you or my birth father. All I have is Vas and he was there to the best of his ability but he still…!” She paused in frustration. “And now…” She said, thinking of her dream.
 Aletheia shook her head. “My daughter, I do not have much time. I cannot lift your curse.” She said with a frown. Elli couldn’t believe how pale her mother was.
 “I came here to give you the present of your years.” Aletheia continued.
“What? Your ‘great’ presence?” Elli muttered.
 Aletheia shook her head. “No, my mirror.” She said as she looked at her daughter with genuine concern. “I see you have found my bracelet?”
 Elli looked down at the bracelet that Vas had given her for her birthday. “Vas found it, it was in pieces.” Elli managed to not shout.
 “Yes, torn when Gaea rose.” She smiled. “I’ glad you found it.”
 Elli shook her head. “Don’t thank me, Thank Vas. He is imprisoned.” She growled.
 The campers looked at Elli with more interest.
 “Elli,” Aletheia sighed. “Do not fear, you will get him out in time.”
 “But why can’t you do it?”! Elli growled. This time Tucker reached to sooth her but Aletheia eyed him.
 “Son of Athena, this is between me and my daughter. If she wishes to scream, let her.”
 Tucker sighed and looked at Elli with assurance. Turning to Nico and Will, Aletheia nodded and the two also took a step back.
 “Because it is your job, your calling.” Aletheia said. “The world works in interesting ways. Your life as a demigod awaits my dear, no more criminal investigating for mortals. The Gods call upon you.” She said with a smile. “It is true, you have been chosen to battle and although I may not harbor strength I can give you the gift of seeing through lies and seeing the truth.”
 Aletheia paused and brought forth a silver mirror. Reflecting Elli’s bracelet in the mirror, the bracelet reflected a gold and encase eight purple gems. “You will need it to fight the enemy you seek.” She said reaching for Elli’s necklace.
 “No!” Elli exclaimed shielding it from her mother. “Don’t change it.”
 Aletheia shook her head. “I was not going to.” She spoke softly. “Where did you get those beads?”
 Elli shook her head. “Dad got them for me. I don’t’ know where he got them.”
 Aletheia flinched at the use of Elli’s chosen father.
 “It is not my necklace. I have a choker lost in the Titan War. If you can find it then you will be able to harness your full power.”
 Elli’s eyes widen. “My power isn’t full?” She looked at her mother in fear. “I can sense lies and truths with all by my fingertip and you say that I’m not at full power?”
 Aletheia shook her head. “The curse will not waver until you are found.” She spoke.
 “You are destined to fight this battle, my dearest.”
 “Veritas!” Elli grinted between her teeth.
 Veritas looked at her, Aletheia continued to stand. “I am no different as a Roman as I am Greek, my child. I am Veritas and Aletheia. Do not try to use that against me.”
 Elli frowned.
 “Elli, my mirror. You must take it. It is a blessing, please.” Aletheia looked at Elli, Elli could feel the true concern for her wash over her.
 “I would have been fine with an ‘I love you’ or a ‘hey, I exist’.” Elli said taking the mirror in her hand and embracing her mother.
 The Goddess let out a small laugh and held Elli in her arms. “I believe all the demigods around you know that this relationship is not possible.” She said letting Elli go.
 Elli sighed.
 “You know it is true.” Aletheia smirked.
 Elli nodded holding the mirror in her hand and glancing at her own face. Her eyes widened as she saw the electric black mark and her black pupil.
 “The curse, that is what you are seeing. Do not fear it will not hurt you if you learn how to reverse it.”
 “And how do I do that?” Elli looked at her mother in desperation.
 Aletheia shook her head. “I must go.” She sighed. “My child, you must know… These Gods in which you associating with, the trust must be built among you for you are not direct family with them.”
 Turning to the other campers, Aletheia began to shine. “I am Aletheia to Greeks and Veritas to the Romans. I am daughter of Prometheus. My father sided with you, he was betrayed. I hope my daughter may be able to change her fate.”
 Turning back to Elli, Aletheia held out her arms for one last embrace.
 “My child,” She whispered as she began to fade.
 Elli smiled. “Thanks for the gift, mom.”
 Aletheia nodded. “I was going to wait but you have been chosen. As I said, your grandfather once sided with the Greeks to overthrow the other Titans. Your grandfather gave mortals fire and for that, the Greeks punished him. I didn’t want you to come here.” She muttered. “But fate has called upon you. Alas, there may be a chance to bring our family curse to an end.” She said and then kissed Elli on her forehead disappearing from her grasp.

No comments:

Post a Comment