Friday, May 29, 2015

Week Twenty Two: The Descendant: The Other Candidate

  The idea was out there but it wasn’t improbable. “Are you suggesting you and Hazel are the two to help her on this journey?” Annabeth questioned.

  Nico tilted his head in surprise. He didn’t even consider Hazel as an option. He only meant someone from the legion. Shrugging, Nico looked at Chiron.

  “I meant someone from the legion. Anyone could be it. But at the same time, this is a quest against the Romans and Greeks alike. Free Prometheus, defy Zeus.” Nico paused. “Well, it looks like you’re out of the picture, Grace.”

  Jason smirked. “I like Elli, I really do. But I’ll agree with you on that, going on a quest to defy my dad might not be the smartest step to take.”

  “Even so…” Annabeth added. “If any of us go, including you Nico, this quest of hers is defying the Gods.”

  Jason shook his head. “I don’t recall anyone getting mad except for my father. What did Prometheus even do again?”

  “He gave Greek fire to mortals.” Nico recalled.

  Piper looked up for her quiet stare at the table at the sound of Greek fire. “Not that I should bring him up,” She said with a sigh but looked at the empty seat next to her that separated her from Nico. She knew why he had done that. Looking at her he gave a silent smirked.

  “Leo would have probably volunteered to help.” She sighed.

  Silence spread across the table again.

  Finally, Jason spoke. “Yea, Valdez would have had fun with a some trickery and deception.” He smirked. “But he’s not here so we can’t choose him.” He sighed. “As much as I’d prefer for him to go.”

  Glancing over his friends at the table, Nico frowned. He shouldn’t lie to them even though it was speculation. Hazel even felt it. Leo was dead. But. Nico sighed. There was something about Leo’s dead that was different. Something he had to tell them about.

  By the time Nico was ready to say anything everyone’s eyes were on him. Apparently they were waiting on his opinion for something. Confused, Nico spoke. “Did…you guys ask me a question?”

  Racheal nodded. “We wanted to know what you thought.” She repeated for him. “I’m not much of a fight so I’m rolled out, Jason can’t go, Piper doesn’t believe she deserves to go but all of us agree that you and Elli are a pair for this, she can be around you and laugh. She’s not on the edge with you, and, don’t take it personal but if anyone can be around you from the moment they meet you without feeling edge, I believe, we believe, that you two are meant to go on this mission together so we want to know what you think.”

  Nico nodded. “I do believe going with her will benefit her but I want to say something else that’s been on my mind.”

  Curious looks altered into intrigued ones.

  “It’s about Leo.” Nico sighed and everyone, except Racheal, sat closer in response. “Hazel felt it too.” Nico frowned. “Leo died.” He paused watching all their looks revert to their silent depressed ones.

  “But there was something else.” Nico sighed. “When it comes to a death people go through anger and denial and I didn’t want to suppress any of that for any of you but there was something I don’t know exactly what but there was something about his death that was different.” Nico spewed and watched everyone return to their curious state.

 “But how?” Annabeth questioned. “That’s not logical.”

  Nico shrugged. “Look, I don’t know. But I wanted to tell you guys. I couldn’t lie to you about it.

  Not when Elli keeps this Detective attitude around me.” Giving another sigh, Nico leaned on the table.

  “Leo did die though.” Nico frowned. “Hazel confirmed it. So I don’t know what it is and don’t get your hopes up too much but all I know is that I don’t usually go on quest with anyone. If anyone was on a quest with me it would be Rayna and Couch Hedge but Couch has a baby and pulling Rayna for some quest we may or may not need her for is out of the question.”

  “Reyna…” Annabeth said looking at Piper. “Why don’t we take this to Camp Jupiter? It shouldn’t take us too long if we take the pegasi.” She smirked. “What do you guys say?”

  Percy nodded. “I’d like to see Hazel and Zhang again, Reyna… I’m not a big fan of but she has her opinion too.”

  “I can go there and explain everything.” Nico shrugged. “It won’t take me but a few seconds to shad-“

  “No.” A voice replied sternly from the door. Entering the room was Will Solace. “What did I say about shadow traveling?”

  Nico glared. “It’s for Elli’s sake and it’s once.”

  “Twice, you’ll have to come back.” Will replied.

  “You can’t go on a quest with Elli. She told me all about it. You haven’t gain your strength back. I’m sorry but if all of you are going to make her head spin and Nico’s the only option I can’t say that I’m going to allow it.”

  Nico rolled his eyes and Will took a seat across from his. “Doctor’s orders.”

  “Where’s Elli anyway?” Nico replied, aggravated that Will was pinning him down.

  “She’s with Celeste.” Will replied. “I told her that it wasn’t healthy to let herself put up those walls of hers. Celeste and her have interacted before and Celeste hasn’t gone on as many of voyages as anyone at this able and hasn’t been around the sick as much as me so I told the two to go down to the lake. Elli agreed with it so you can’t complain.”

  Nico sighed and looked away from Will. He was happy that Will cared but having no one to care about him for most of his was something he sometimes preferred and at this moment, he wished. Will was always yapping at him for something. When Nico was coped up in his room, Will would retrieve him and make him sit with him at the theatre, when Nico walked along, Will would join him, when Nico had something on his mind, Will would nudge him. Shaking his head, Nico looked up at Will.

  “If I can’t go then who can? She can’t do this alone.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment