Friday, December 12, 2014

Week Twenty: Brotherhood

This was supposed to publish on the 6th. I guess I forgot to queue it in. My apologizes everyone. 
--
  The first sense that Xeq tuned into was his hearing. In the distance he could hear little droplets of water. As his mind began to clear he could hear a waterfall. Then, his fingers twitched. Feeling the rock of the cave, Xeq noted that he was using his fingers and not his claws. Alert, Xeq searched for his single heartbeat. At first hearing nothing, Xeq thought of a command for his body but failed. In response, the temperature set his temperature and quietly, but stronger then before, was his heartbeat.
  Eyes forced open, Xeq stared at the ceiling. Cuddled up in his arms was a warm fuzz. Looking down, Xeq's confused look change to a relaxed one. In his arms was the Kitsune, her light orange red fur sparkled. Readjusting, Xeq ran his hand through her fur. As he did, her ear twitched and she let out a long sigh. Smiling, Xeq looked up to the sound of paws emerging from deeper in the cave.
  "She insisted to be the first one to see you when you awoke." The wolf's voice had an edge of alertness that alarmed Xeq.
  "Turns out she's the first one you see but I am the first to see you." He grunted in attempt to laugh.
  "Did I do something while I was going through that phase?" Xeq questioned, still feeling the uneasiness of the wolf.
  "No, you did cause quite a rumble." The wolf's reflection form didn't sooth Xeq's nerves any.
  "Yea..." Xeq smirked. "My apologizes."
  The wolf nodded as he leaned his back against the wall to face Xeq. "She's very fond of you."
  Xeq shrugged not sure how to respond he hadn't exactly spent any 'emotional' time with her.
  "She believes that you have a kind heart, dragon. What do you say?"
  Xeq sighed. "I do what I have to."
  "How's the hydra's heart working for you?" The wolf said nodding his head.
  "I feel a stronger pulse, and colder but I think it's because of my blood. I' not exactly warm blooded."
  The wolf's unreadable expression slipped a small smile at the corner of his lips. "Mioko said to let you rest after you stopped your tantrum. I understand that you're brother is out at sea. Do you honestly think that this heinous act will purify you?"
  Anger swelled up within Xeq. Feeling the Kitsune's coat in his hands, he managed to silence it and then speak. "I didn't ask to be purified. I wanted to save my brother."
  "From his own kind, asking him to come home and be one with them?" The wolf asked with a raised eyebrow.
  "No." Xeq shook his head, sitting up and placing the Kitsune on his lap to continue stroking her. "I didn't know Vile was part Hydra. All I knew was that he was adopted. Had I known that the hydra was there to negotiate then I wouldn't have attacked but as I entered the scene, Vile was on the ground in agony."
  Letting a silence settle between the two, Xeq sighed. "I heard a rumor that a hydra's heart can make another dragon stronger. Actually...  The whole rumor is that if you eat another dragon's heart than you can receive their abilities and such."
  "And?" The wolf questioned, his tail twisting in anxiousness. "What have you found to be true and to false?"
  Xeq smirked. "I... I don't know if I can use fire anymore. What I can use is this inner light type attack. I call it 'hyper beam' since I can't think of what else to call it but it's strong and I don't know how to control it yet. I thought if I let the heart consume mine I'd feel better and I do...." He sighed. "But I feel farther from Vile than I ever have since he's entered my life. I was able to use the power but the more I used it the harder it was to talk to Vile through our 'connection'."
  The wolf nodded. "This connection, I assume most dragons have it?"
  Xeq shrugged. "I've only interact with a few in my life. That'd be a question for Mioko."
  Turning, both Xeq and the wolf faced the sound of sandals approaching them.
  "Ah, I see you've awaken." Mioko smiled. "I am glad."
  "How long was I out?" Xeq asked in concern.
  "Two days." Mioko nodded. "I don't assume you're trying to leave in that condition are you?"
  Xeq frowned. "My brother's in trouble. I don't care if he's not my full brother and I don't mind not being able to connect with him but I need to find him."
  "Vile is a water based dragon, no?"
  Xeq shrugged. "He's faster in the water. I can say that much but he's a flyer too."
  Mioko looked at Xeq in amusement. "A flying hydra?"
  Xeq shrugged. "I don't know how that works. I mean," He paused. "There's me. Chinese Feng Shui but part Hydra."
  Mioko shook his head. "You two might anger the Gods if you're not careful."
  Xeq sighed. "The Gods?" She raised an eyebrow. "Since when did dragons become religious?"
  Mioko smiled. "You should not insult the God, young dragon. They are quite powerful beings and they help bring peace to our world."
  Xeq shook his head. "Peace?" He looked at Mioko in concern. "Do you know what's going on outside this cave, Mioko?"
  Mioko nodded and smiled. "Indeed I do but it is not our place to change the world, or the political systems and such. My role is to protect the natures of the world. To preserve the knowledge and cherish what the humans do not. We are here for our purposes. Humans are here for theirs."
  Xeq shrugged. "So then, how will we know who's telling the truth about what?" Xeq frowned. "I mean, as for the explanations of the world?"
  Mioko smiled. "That, young dragon, is for you to decide. As I have told you how I feel of this world, you must make your own view and stand by it but do not close your eyes. For one belief leads to many and more shall come to pass."

No comments:

Post a Comment