Sunday, February 22, 2015

II. Week Eight: Passing Through

  A day. That’s how fast Xeq could travel to China. Of course, he didn’t know how slow or fast he went the first time but the straight flight might strain him. Stopping at Mikey's would be his only luxury. Appearing at the door, Mikey’s mother opened up and embraced him.
  “Xeq! What are you doing here at this hour?”! She asked.
  Xeq shrugged. “Mind if I ask what hour it?” He wondered.
  “Mikey’s actually going to get off soon! You want to wait for him? He might be walking home that new school girl so watch out.” Mikey’s mom laughed.
  Xeq grinned. “Ah, Mikey’s got a girlfriend?”
  Mikey’s father nodded at him as he came him, “Seems so, the girl really attached herself to him the moment she got in the car. It was as if they already knew each other. Course, he was a little confused as to what to do at first but the lad will learn in time.”
  Xeq nodded.
  “Hungry?” Mikey’s mom asked happily bringing out biscuits.
  Smiling, he gladly took a cup of tea from her and some of the biscuits. I’ll need to head out soon after Mikey gets here because I need to tell him something but that’ll be it. Then I should be heading back.”
  Mikey’s mom nodded. Sitting across from him on the couch next to her husband with the newspaper, Mikey’s mom began to readjust herself. Watching her closely, Xeq questioned. “Is there something on your mind?”
  A sigh escaped Mikey’s mother’s lips. “Well…” She shuffled. “Somewhat. “Mikey’s been acting sort of strange since that incident.” Mikey’s mother smirked. “And then you two came out of nowhere.” She said with a nervous laugh.
  “Not that I don’t like you and your brother but you two seem to come around often for Americans.” She shrugged. “I know it’s none of my business but I do have a right don’t I?” Mikey’s mom said meeting Xeq’s eyes. “I can have the right to know what’s wrong with m son?”
  “Wrong?” Xeq questioned. “Nothing’s wrong with your son, madam. I assure you.”
  “He assaulted a child and then the child even died!” Mikey’s mother protested. “I don’t consider that, fine and part of my daily list of chores to do!”
  “Honey.” Mikey’s father cut in. “What did I say about this? Mikey’s going through a phase is all. There’s nothing you should be worried about.”
  “Our son’s a murderer!” She screeched.
  “Olivia! By bloody hell. Would you? In front of him?” Mikey’s father sighed putting down his newspaper to comfort his sobbing wife.
  “If you could?” Mikey’s father requested.
  “Of course.” Xeq said getting up to exit the room. Not that he wanted to go into Mikey’s room without permission but it was the only room to go to.
  “I can’t stand it, Hun!” Olivia exclaimed. “If something’s going on with him he needs to let us know!” She yelled in between cries.
  Xeq sighed. Xeq and Vile didn’t really have parents. Vile was already adopted and Xeq wasn’t exactly close to his own family. He doubted that they even cared about them. Shoot, Zamer’s parents were more of parents to Xeq and Vile than their own. But this was something else. Telling a mortal that you’re a dragon can set off different messages. Some laugh, some cry, some scream. In this case, Olivia was doing all of that. Xeq couldn’t imagine having to deal with this every night. No wonder Mikey was sometimes out at the forest some nights when either himself or Vile showed up. Xeq could go, but if Mikey’s dad came in looking for him and finding not a trace that’d be suspicious.
  “Honey! Mikey’s here! Get a hold of yourself!” Mikey’s father hissed. Listening to her steps, Xeq stood at the door of Mikey’s room to go downstairs. Meeting Mikey’s father once again, Mikey’s father sighed.
  “She’ll never understand it.” Mikey’s father said meeting Xeq’s eyes. “So all you can do is pretend like it’s a phase and that it’s okay.”
  Xeq opened in mouth to comment but Mikey ran in panting. Passing Xeq and running up to his room to change, the two watched as he scrambled back down and out the door a few minutes later in shorts and T-shirt.
  “Don’t forget your worrisome mother on your way out!” Exclaimed Mikey’s dad shaking his head.
  Xeq smirked. Slamming the door behind him, Mikey breathed heavily. “Xeq?”!
  Xeq nodded in amusement. “Hey, little guy. What’s the rush?”
  “Dröfn,” Mikey said with a smile.
  “See.” Mikey’s dad said raising from the couch to grab his keys. “All a phase.” He nodded. “Woman and rebellion.” Mikey’s father laughed. “Lock the door for me will you, son.”
  Letting his father out, Mikey nodded. “Now that I don’t have to pretend like I’m frantically trying to escape this woman. I’ll gladly answer your questions up stairs.” Mikey grinned.
  “Pretending?” Xeq nodded. “Looked pretty convincing if you ask me.”
  “Well.” Mikey sighed. “See, I woke up to a nymph trying to suffocate me yesterday, killed her ex boyfriend the next day, and now she insist that we go somewhere else. How am I supposed to believe that she doesn’t want me to kill someone else? And I can’t do anything because I apparently have to serve her!” Mikey gasped taking one of his extra shirts to wipe of the sweat on his face.
  Xeq laughed. “Nymph?”
  Mikey nodded. Ægir imprisoned her along with her eight sister and mother because he thought it was funny and he did it for me. Now I have to serve each of the daughters for one year and the mother for two.”
  “What?” Xeq asked with a confused stare. “You’d be like twenty five by then.”
  Mikey sighed. “Yea…’ He said realizing it himself. “I would be twenty five by the time this is over.”
  “Why don’t you give your mother a good hug before you go out?” Xeq commented as they headed out the door. “It’d probably do her some good.”
  Mikey shrugged. “I’m not so sure about that. I’ll try to be asleep ‘on time’ instead.” Mikey smirked.
  “Suit yourself.” Xeq shrugged. “I’ll be heading out to China. Your mom made some muffin looking things and said I could take some for the trip.”
  Mikey looked at Xeq in confusion. “Crumpets?”
  Xeq shrugged. “Whatever they are they’re good so I don’t care what they’re called.” He laughed.
  “You told her that you were going to China?”
  “Oh, no.” Xeq laughed. “I said I was leaving once you got here.”
  Mikey nodded in approval. “Well, I guess that’s alright. Have fun. Stop by on the way back I guess?”
  Xeq nodded. “Tell me more about this girlfriend of yours when I do get back alright?”
  Mikey sighed. “I’d rather not but I’ll do my best.”

No comments:

Post a Comment