Sunday, February 1, 2015

II. Week Five: Day One

  Mikey awoke to a cool splash of water on his face but when he tried to open his eyes groggily the salty ice cold water thought otherwise. Opening his eyes to the sting and forcing an acidic cough, the sphere of water moved away from encasing Mikey’s head and left his hair dripping and him gasping for breath. Taking a moment to catch his breath, Mikey looked up at the edge of his bed, the trail of water that had surrounded his head was now taking a different shape, a shape of a girl his age.
  To his surprise the girl blushed, covering her chest with her hands. Confused at first, Mikey looked away quickly as he realized what she was doing. Despite her snow white almost silver hair trickling down her back and covering most of her naked body he couldn’t help but want to give her some privacy. At the same time, he had been surrounded by her, or as Xeq or Vile might joke, inside her.
  After a few moments of silence, Mikey finally cleared his throat. Looking up at him, she blushed and he didn’t bother to face her. Getting up, Mikey headed to his closet to grab her a something to wear. Anything would be good. He didn’t care if it would get soaked after. Sighing, he grabbed the first clothing he saw and tossed it at her.
  “Put that on.” He commanded. Crossing his arms and tapping his foot as she did so. The girl smiled. “Quite sweet of you for someone who threw me in jail.” She retorted and suddenly Mikey felt alarmed.
  Facing her, Mikey checked to see if the clothing was soaked and to his surprisethey weren't. Actually, it was perfectly dry and to even more of his surprise, the random piece of clothing was his favorite jacket which didn’t look bad on her. Despite having a subtle transparent body, the girl’s oceanic blue skin didn’t drip and she seemed solid enough to sit on the edge of his bed.
  Meeting her midnight eyes, Mikey noticed that where the white of her eyes should have been was a glowing yellow. He knew she wasn’t human. Imprisonment? Mikey wondered. When did he… His eyes widened.
  “So now you remember.” She smiled. “Dad thought you were funny and played along with your little act to save that navigator.” She paused. “He said he liked your ‘spunk’ as they would call it in your language.”
  Mikey smirked. “All I wanted was to make sure he didn’t die, okay.” He sighed. “I mean, who carries out those old traditions anyways? Why sacrifice your navigator. Who’s going to tell you where to go then?”!
  The girl shrugged. “Maybe they know the route because they've gone so many times?” Now sitting with her hands in her lap wearing the jacket as a dress, she blushed. “I didn’t imagine you to be attractive. I was hoping for you to do some bidding for me since you owe us for what you did.”
  Feeling the cool breeze from his window Mikey realized that he was shirtless and only in his boxers. Wide eyes, he scrambled for a pair of shorts and a shirt. Warmth spread through his body as he felt the girl’s arms around his waist. She smiled. “I don’t mind.” She blushed.
  Face flushing, Mikey sighed. “I…” He breathed in slowly. “I do. Can I at least put on some shorts.?” He questioned.
  Stepping away she nodded. “If that makes you comfortable.” She smiled and then closed the window to his room.
  Slipping on some shorts he continued to blush and she tilted her head. Her lips were a slight darker blue than her body, the same went for her eyelids. Giving him a questionable look, she met his gaze after staring at his torso for a good two minutes.
  “I thought you mortals went swimming?” She wondered.
  Mikey shook his head, he had never exosed his body in front of anyone except his parents, Xeq, and Vile but that was only because there were times he had singed his clothes when he was in a passed out state during training. “Not when you have a reflectioned form that reflects your trueself as a dragon. In my case, a Wyvern.”
  The girl looked at Mikey in a daze. “You’ve never gone swimming?” She questioned in amazement. “I know you can fly but if you’re wanting to serve me you’ll have to know how to swim.” She added. 
  “Serve you?” Mikey asked now the one confused. “Who said anything about serving you.?” He questioned raising an eyebrow. “I’ll admit.” He shrugged. “You’re pretty and all,” He paused looking into her eyes. “I mean…” He smirked. “You’re gorgeous and all but serving you? Is that my punishment?” He asked aloud wanting to think that last question.
  The girl shrugged. “Why else would I be here?” She smiled. “But then again.” She met his eyes. “Serving me won’t be as bad as some of my sisters. I assure you.” She grinned.
  The sudden thought of the nine waves along with the water wyvern goddess made Mikey sick. “Don’t tell me…” He searched her eyes but found nothing. “…I have to serve all your sisters…?”
  The girl grinned. “Why yes you do actually!” She exclaimed more excited than before. “I get to have you first. You’ll be serving each of us for one year and since you made our mother the most made you’ll serve her for two.”
  Seeing the twinkle in the girls eyes meant that she wasn’t lying. Thinking of Ægir’s warning to get sleep made Mikey feel even more tired. Checking the clock his eyes widen, there was one hour until he had to go to school.
  “There are nine of us.” She smiled. “One year of your life isn’t too bad compared to a millennia.”
  In hearing that, Mikey almost fainted. “But Dad said we couldn’t punish you that bad since he liked you and technically he did put us in prison so you’d only have to get your feet wet for us.” Her smile a pure white, almost too much for Mikey.
  Mikey sighed. “Well. Alright then. He said as he went to his closet to get dressed and she frowned.
  “What?” He questioned.
  “You’re getting dressed now?” She asked with a frown.
  Mikey nodded. “School starts in an hour. I have to get dressed and then eat and head off. I’ll head straight back here I promise.”
  Suddenly, Ægir’s voice bellowed in fury. THOU HAVE A DEATH WISH?!
  Mikey sighed and spoke aloud. “No, Ægir. I can’t stop my life for this silly imprisonment game. I’ll ‘serve my time’ when I get out of school You have to understand.”
  THEN THOU SHALL STOP THIS SORT OF EDUCATION.
 Mikey rolled his eyes. “My parents don’t even know I’m a dragon, Ægir. How do you think they’ll react if I drop out of school?”
  I SHALL GRANT YOU IMMORTALITY.
  “And risk the rest of my life serving still waters?” Mikey asked clearly making the joke towards the God but making the girl place her hand on her heart with pain.
  “I…” He added quickly the moment he saw her reaction.
  THOU DARE INSULT MY FLESH AND BLOOD?!
  This time Mikey resisted the urge to roll his eyes and put down his uniform. Sitting next to the girl Mikey put his arm around her waist. “I didn’t mean you.” He said lightly.
  “Or did you.” She asked, a lighter colored blue trickled down her cheeks. Amazed, Mikey took his free hand to wipe away the tears from the water spirit.
  THOU WILL FACE JUDGEMENT!
  As Ægir exclaimed a crash could be heard from a distance. Mikey sighed. “I don’t know how you could ever live with him.” Mikey admitted. “He’s quite the God you know.” Mikey smirked as he saw a small smile appear on her face.
  “He’s my father.” She said, now embracing him. “How could I not deal with him?”
  Mikey raised an eyebrow. “Well, there’s always walking away.” He said and was about to explain how he would wake away from his but then realized that his parents were mortal unlike hers. And unlike his mortal father, her immortal father was the ocean which was literally everywhere. The girl could escape him if she managed to get to a desert but somehow Mikey knew that wouldn’t bring the girl te peace she’d ask for.
  “Well,” Mikey shrugged. “You can always tell him to go away…?” He questioned not sure how to cover.
  She smiled. “I have much to be thankful for.” She smiled and then took his hands in hers and put space between them. “You are strong, I can feel it. I trust you’ll be a perfect servant!”
  Mikey sighed. He almost forgot that she was enslaving him. Listening for Ægir and hearing nothing, Mikey spoke out.
  “I have to go to school, Ægir.” He sighed. “She can come with me but it’ll be difficult to hide her true nature.”
  Window shattering and water flooding into Mikey’s room, Ægir as he had appeared on the ship stood taller and with his arms crossed.
  “You wish to take my daughter to school with you?”! He exclaimed.
  “Nonsense!”
  The water spirit flourished and growled. “What if I want to go to school, father?”! Amused at the shout, Ægir’s eyes met his daughter. Mikey watched as they held a silent conversation, the different expressions of anger and resentment then understand and endurance flashed Ægir’s face.
  “Fine.” He replied bring forth a necklace with a diamond shaped vial. “As long as you wear this she can go wherever you go and it can count as your service time. You must complete one mortal year of service to each of my daughters and if any of them do not believe you’ve done enough for one day they don’t have to count it.”
  Mikey gave a groan glancing at the time and standing up.
SIT MORTAL. I AM NOT DONE WITH YOU.
 Mikey shook his head and pointed to the clock. “Mortal time says I don’t have much time to get ready, I still have to eat.” He replied. “Don’t worry, I’m listening,” He said as he began to slip on his uniform.
  “Until you have complete three hundred and sixty five days of service to each of my daughters you will not be permitted to be with anyone else other than my daughter.”
  “What?”! Mikey exclaimed. “Define what you mean by that, I mean there’s my parents, there’s Xeq and Vile, my friends.”
  “No other woman shall enter you heart.” Ægir glared and it took a moment for Mikey to realize that the God didn’t speak the words out loud for her to hear.
  Mikey frowned. “I’m thirteen!” He exclaimed. “What makes you think I’ll be picking up woman left and right?”!
  Ægir grinned, flashing a smile of approval. To Mikey’s surprise, the daughter didn’t notice and Mikey squinted his eyes. Ægir liked Mikey but Mikey wasn’t too sure he’d ever come to like Ægir on the same terms.
  “Daughter. Have you told the mortal who you are?”
  The water spirit turned to Mikey and blushed. “I am Bára or Dröfn. My name means wave.”
  Of course it does.  Mikey thought to himself.
  “You can call me either name.”
  “Bára.” Mikey said seeing how her name felt as he spoke. She eyed him and realized what he was doing as he said her other name. “Dröfn.”
  Mikey shrugged. “I don't really like either so I'll call you Fin.” He said with a grin.
  “Is Fin okay with you?.” He smirked. “The name’s Mikey, I’m glad to be at your service.” He said with a bow.
  Amused, Dröfn made him stand checked the shoulder of Mikey’s uniform. “Does your mother not know how to sow?”
  Mikey sighed. “She does but I don’t want to bother her.”
  Dröfn nodded. “Let me have it. She said and gestured at her father. Take the necklace from my father. You’ll have a new window by the time we get back from school.” She smiled and for some reason Mikey highly doubted that.
  “Sure.” He said as he slipped off the coat. “Make it quick though, we need to go especially since you don’t have a uniform.”
  Fixing the stich, Dröfn shook her head and with a twirl she switched from the oversized jacket to a girl’s uniform. Mikey nodded in amazement.
  “Could you, meet me there? My mother would be a bit sketchy if you came out of my room with me, maybe even meet me outside?”
  Ægir flashed a looked of disapproval but Dröfn nodded. “Father, I am not offended. Please.” She said and he looked at his daughter in agony.
  “As you wish.” He said, disappearing through the window. Dröfn was next.
  Heading to the bathroom to do one more onceover, Mikey sighed and let the veil dangle in front of his uniform before he tucked it in. They would confiscate it if they saw it but without it, serving the hours with Ægir’s family would take that much longer. Hopefully, Dröfn wouldn’t be too bad and maybe she could even teach him about the culture that seemed so distant to him. Hearing his name being called from the kitchen, Mikey nodded to himself and headed out. He saved a life despite the reaction and the consequence. One was enough for him to believe there was more to this than a serving time. 


No comments:

Post a Comment