Friday, January 30, 2015

Week Five: The Descendant: Departure

 Holding an apple to the pegasus’s mouth, the pegasus gladly took the offering and then nudged the boy towards Elli and Vas. The boy curse in greek at the pegasus making it turn away from him. Shaking his head, he strapped his bow and held out his hand.
 “Tucker Homestead.” He said with a beaming smile. “That piece of work over there is Haley, she’s a bit rowdy but you’ll get used to her, she’s a sweetheart underneath that mess.” He laughed as he caught the piece of apple Haley threw at him.
 “See what I mean?” He asked with a nod.
 Vas took Ticker’s hand before Elli. “Nice to meet you Tucker, but I have to say…” He paused as he let go of the handshake. “A Texan Roman?”
 “Greek.” Tucker shook his head. “Mother’s Athena, Goddess of Wisdom, War, useful arts, and more. Like weaving,” Tucker shrugged. “Not that I know how to do that. I’m more of a wielder.” He smirked. “To answer your question though, my dad’s from El Paso and met my mom when he went down to South Padre Island. They were together for a full week and then she came back with me.”
 “Sounds heroic…” Elli smirked as she took Tucker’s hand for a handshake.
 “Yea.” Tucker shrugged. “Gotta’ love those one night stands.” He grinned. “Or one week, I guess, is a step up.”
 “Six days up.” Vas grinned. “I’m glad you came when you did. We were heading to New York actually.” She said as he scratched the back of his bald head.
 Tucker nodded. “Yea, I have mission to do but we can meet up with someone who can take you back to Camp Half Blood.”
 “Camp what?” Vas and Elli said in unison.
 “Camp Half Blood.” Tucker repeated with a grin. “It’s a great place.” He smirked. “You mentioned Romans. I’m guessing you know about Camp Jupiter too?”
 Elli shook her head and Vas spoke. “We only knew that there were two camps. Elli pulled a trick back there, she has this inner lie detector that gets her feeling, see, hear, and taste lies.”
 “Whoa…” Tucker said in amusement looking at Elli, a small fear settled behind his eyes. “Quite a talent ya’ got there.”
 Elli nodded. “Vas said that there was a Greek Camp in New York and I sensed that he was telling the truth. I can crochet, but it’s only thanks to Youtube.” She smiled.
 Tucker nodded. “Well, I was a farmhand before I was on the lines with Camp Half Blood. Athena didn’t give those skills.” He smiled. “We are still half mortal.”
 Elli sighed. “Sadly,” She shrugged.
 Tucker shook his head. “Being immortal isn’t everything.”
 “How can you say that?” Elli looked at him in amusement. “You actually believe that.”
 Tucker shuffled his feet in response. Getting told by someone who could tell whether or not someone was lying or telling the truth felt exposing. Nothing could be hidden from this Elli girl.
 “Because.” Tucker gave a slow sigh, “Mother nature herself went mad, Kronos tried to kill us, and the Gods? They’re not always lovable parents if you know what I mean.” He smirked.
 Elli nodded. She hadn’t even spoken to Aletheia. All she had was a ‘inner lie detector’ as Vas had put it.
 “I’m assuming you had a Goddess for a mother.” he nodded towards Vas.
 Vas put his arm around Elli as she looked up at him.
 “Yes.” Vas said as he smirked. “But. I’m her adopted father, not her birth one.”
 “Oh.” Tucker’s smirk turned into a frown. “Sorry to hear that.”
 “I’m adopted.” Elli shrugged. “What can I say, I’ve lived helping the police since I was toddler.” She smiled. “It’s better than being chased by minotaurs”
 “Oh yea.” Tucker nodded. “Way better. But I have to say, you’re lucky an agent found ya’.”
 “I was an officer at the time.” Vas commented.
 “Right.” Tucker shrugged. “My point is, some of us don’t get that lucky. Camp Half Blood is a safe place for our kind. We should get you there are soon as possible.” Looking down, Tucker tilted his head.
 “Where did you get that celestial bronze bracelet?”
  “I found half of it in New York when I was working a case for the FBI and then I found the other piece in California, do you think it has to do with the camps?”
 “Possibility.” Tucker shrugged. “I have a mission to get to.” He frowned. “I don’t mean to ruin your family here but if you want to get to Camp Half Blood in one piece, the girl has to come with me.”
 Elli looked up at Vas with sad eyes. “He’s telling the truth.”
 Vas sighed. “Well, as many times as I’ve had to leave you, I don’t see why you can’t do the same.”
 Tucker shook his head. “I’d like to take you too but Haley here can only take two at the max, otherwise she’ll get cranky.”
 Haley tossed head back and whinnied.
 Elli smirked. “I don’t have to have powers to know that he’s not lying.” She laughed to herself.
 Vas nodded. “Understood.” He said as he embraced Elli one last time. “Love you, Kiddo, write me some letters, you know how to get ahold of me.”
 “You don’t have a cell phone do you?” Tucker questioned in alarm.
 “I do.” Vas laughed. “She doesn’t. Apparently, the myth is true.”
 “Oh yea.” Tucker nodded. “I can stand for that. Elli?” He said as he gestured towards Haley who was looking at her with gentle eyes.
 “Be careful Kiddo,” Vas said as Tucker sat behind Elli, putting his arms around her waist.
 “And you.” Tucker glanced down at Vas in caution. “I swear, I hear anything go wrong know that the law doesn’t protect you from me.”
 Tucker smiled. “Sir, I’m a demigod and if I’ve learned anything the law is nothing to be afraid of,” He smirked. “But you sir.” He added quickly, as a father knowing of a few hot heads myself, I will take your word and I’ll protect your daughter. Don’t worry, she’s in safe hands.” He said Haley tossed her head in agreement.
 “’…In my hands’ says Haley.” Tucker grinned.
 “Oh!” Vas said as he turned to the car. “Hold on, can’t let my princess go without her not-melted-all-the-way large Mediterranean salted caramel gelato.”
 “Gelato?” Tucker asked in amusement.
 “Yea.” Elli laughed as she took the cup and kissed her father on the forehead before he stepped away. “Believe it or not, it’s my fourteenth birthday and my good ol’ Pa over there wanted to take me out for ice cream.”
 Tucker’s eyes lighted. “Howdy, get rowdy huh?” He smiled.
 Elli elbowed him in the stomach and Tucker looked away in attempt to pretend like the pain wasn’t there.”
 “She’s didn’t spend much time in Dallas but we went back a couple of times so she picked up on some of her Texas heritage.” Vas grinned. “I’m too worried, my kiddo can handle herself, but beware.” He grinned.
 Tucker let out a sigh as he looked out from the direction he had originally came.
 “You’re quite something, Elli.” He smirked as they took off.

 “Elli Triad.” She said, realizing that she never gave Trucker her full name.

No comments:

Post a Comment