Friday, January 9, 2015

Week Two: The Descendant: Daughter of and Agent then a Goddess

 Agent Vas held his daughter in his arms. They had gone through too much to get her away from those people and now these stalkers were back but this time, they weren’t playing nice stalkers. Not that stalkers were any nicer but at least being followed could top off leaving a trail of murders. Elli wasn’t Agent Vas’s real daughter. Actually, Vas didn’t have the luxury of a relationship. The closest he had ever gotten was Elli and that so happen on a case at the orphanage Elli was raised in.
 Maybe if he told her about that she’d be able to understand the situation she was in but then again, Elli could see, hear, feel, and even taste lies. If Vas managed to keep the murder all to himself up to this point than maybe the event was meant to stay away from her. Rubbing her back, Agent Vas sighed. “Let’s go inside Elli and you can tell me all about it.”
 Agent Vas had spent the last couple of months researching two camps. Only a demigod could find either because a mortal would see different. However, with Elli by his side, they’d be able to find it. Apparently, one of the camps was wired into the demigod’s head to find when they got old enough. At a time like this? Elli had to turn that GPS on.
 Elli didn’t know but Agent Vas had been doing his research on Greek and Roman Gods since they met. He wondered how he was able to keep it from her since she could detect any uneasiness from anyone except him. She managed to grasp when he was sad but other than that, she couldn’t hear what he was thinking whether I be the truth or not.
 Setting Elli down and holding her hands in his, Agent Vas faced Elli. “Now, tell me specifics, what are the people telling you?”
 “They call me daughter of Aletheia, Alatheia, and Veritas.” She cried, trying to hold back the shake in her voice. They’re the same person. Apparently, she is my mother. But we can’t ask my father, Flyod Triad because he’s dead…. And mom…” Agent Vas took a tissue and handed it to Elli.
 “Mom put her name as Linda Triad which is true and I don’t understand how it’s true if she’s Aletheia, Alatheia, and Veritas.”
 Agent Vas’s eyes lit up. Maybe Elli was a demigod. “Do you know what that means?”
 Elli nodded. “I don’t know how…” She murmured. “But her name means Goddess of Truth. They speak of a God named Dolos, spirits called pseudologoi, and the Goddess Apates who is the Goddess of deception.” She sucked in a breath and let it out slowly.
 “They can control whether or not I can hear the truth. They can change what is true.” Elli shook her head. “How can anything do that?”
 Agent Vas’s eyes widen in alarm. Maybe one of the psedolgogy…? He shook his head, greek words were for his vocabulary even if he was thinking. Maybe one of them took over him and that’s how they continue to track her. Although, at the same time, Elli had switched departments without him knowing where she was until today when he decided to call in and head down for her birthday.
 “The truth is the truth, nothing can change that.” Agent Vas shook his head. “The way you perceive it, however, that can change.”
 “Do you think they’re controlling my perception?” Elli asked in wonder. Still confused as to how that was even possible.
 “They’re spirits of lies, right?” Agent Vas questioned.
Elli nodded.
 “Maybe they have that power. Or maybe… they can control whether you can sense it or not?” It was a long shot but it had to be possible. It was similar to the situation with compasses at the Bermuda triangle, the magnetic field from the sea floor was strong enough to throw ships off course, maybe these spirits had that sort of ability as well.
 “They tell me that I’ve been chosen to battle. Aletheia, Veritas, or Alatheia, whatever her actual name is, wants to speak with me but I don’t know how to speak to her. Then, one of the spirits talked to me in Greek. I freaked out because I understood what it said.”
 “Which was?” Agent Vas pushed. He didn’t want to shove Elli, there was no need for that but he would like to take her out for ice cream or something on her birthday. The whole time he drove he hoped that he could take her somewhere, even if it was for an hour, but he knew that wasn’t possible now. If anything, he was glad that he managed to her a present.
 “Gaea has fallen and now there is nothing to fear.” She paused as she translated the words in her head. “Go forth daughter of Alatheia and alas, bring together the camps closer and holdfast, for they will learn through their own demise.”
 Agent Vas nodded. “Sounds like a plan.”
 Elli frowned. “What do you mean, do you know how to get ahold of my Goddess mother who hasn’t decided to show her face is the past fourteen years?”! She didn’t meant to raise her voice but she couldn’t help but be aggravated. “After all, if you knew this whole time, I wouldn’t know. I wouldn’t know what secrets you’ve been holding because somehow I can’t hear your truths and lies. All I can do is believe. And believe I have been but…”
 Agent Vas put up his arm is dispute. “Elli, what I haven’t told you is for the good. No, I don’t know how to get a hold of your mother.” He sighed. “But I’ll tell you this…” He smirked. “I have been looking into Greek and Roman mythology since I adopted you because something at the orphanage was etched in about Kronos, the Olympians, Gaea, and demigods. I meant to tell you, but I didn’t know when, I guess I’m a horrible father…” He sighed.
 Elli embraced Agent Vas. “No…” She shook her head. “I’m flustered by these murders. I killed these people. I don’t care if I did it indirectly but they died because of me and I don’t intend to sit around and not do anything about it.” Her eyes were red and puffy but she held as smile as she looked up at Agent Vas.
 Agent Vas smiled and ruffled her hair. “Aw, thanks kiddo.”
 Elli stood, “Dad. “ She smiled. “You’re all I have, out of the two fathers that I’ve ever had in my life, one isn’t even alive, and that’s not his fault, and then there’s you. You may not be here all the time but you’re here enough. You’ve taken care of me, and for that I don’t care if I can hear your lies or truths because I understand that some truths are meant to be kept as secrets.”

No comments:

Post a Comment