Friday, January 2, 2015

Week One: The Descendant: As of This Day

 Elli Triad’s fourteenth birthday was arriving. Meaning, Agent Vas would take her out for a special dinner. Or, at least attempt to do something special. For now, Elli would be in the interrogation room sitting with the most recent suspect, Viana Hue. Viana was older than Elli, a good two to three years older, but she still didn’t understand that Elli had the power over here.
 Ever since Agent Vas came into Elli’s life at the age five, she’d been welcomed to the station. At first, Elli had traveled with Officer Vas, escaping the people who ‘followed’ her for two years. After Officer Vas had announced that he was going to go back to school to become an Agent Elli’s heart had sunk. Due to this, Elli had been placed into police custody. She was welcomed at every station as long as she helped with the investigations.
 During the two years that Elli had traveled with Officer Vas she came to find that she could feel when someone was lying. The first time she exposed her power to herself and the Officer was when Officer Vas found out that the woman he had helped two cities back had been burned alive. Elli had asked the heard the news on the radio and could hear the radio host’s real view through his voice, the radio host could have cared less.
 Feeling that someone was not telling the truth had been one aspect that Elli had gotten used to. The more she used her power, however, she discovered that sixth sense started to interact with her other senses. A year after helping the police force she started to hear the lie before it was spoken. By the age ten she was able to taste and see the lie addition to feel and hear the lies. Now, as she eased up to the age fourteen she sat with Viana Hue and rolled her eyes as she could hear the disgust going through Viana’s head.
 In Elli’s hands was a crochet needle and on her lap was half of the handbag she was planning on giving to one of the woman officers who always brought her new patterns to try while waiting throughout the day for work. “I wouldn’t think so bad of the situation.” Elli commented hearing a distinguished remark against her. “It’ll only do you any good if you tell the truth.” She paused. “Besides, I heard that, and that wasn’t polite.”
 “What’s it to you?”! Viana exclaimed in aggravation. “None of the Officers understand me. No one has ever.”
 Elli shrugged. “Sob sob. Sorry to hear that.”
 Viana growled and attempted to face Elli but was held by the handcuffs to the table. “Why are you working for these scumbags anyway? How are you even working for them?” She fussed.
 “I was adopted by a police officer. He’s an FBI agent now and I can’t always be with him. So, I help around here. My job being to tell them if you’re lying or not when they come back from their discussion.”
 Viana laughed. “You look younger than me. You’re telling me that they’re going to go off of your word? What makes you so special?”
 Elli smirked. “I can taste when you’re lying.” She grinned trying her best not to laugh. She liked to pick on some of the victims. It made up for being able to hear their lies and well as their truths.
 “Taste?”! Viana gave a gag reaction. “Gross, how?”
 Elli shrugged. “That’s not important. All that matters is that I can tell if you’re telling the truth or not and I hear the truth. So don’t bother trying to lie to them. They’ll take my word.”
 Viana grunted. “I wouldn’t have done it if it didn’t do me any good.”
 Elli nodded. “Oh I know why you did it. You thought it. But that doesn’t give any excuse for what you did. Murder is still murder no matter how you look at it.”
 A tear left Viana’s eyes. “I couldn’t control myself. Would you believe me?”
 Elli’s eyes glistened. Viana was telling the truth.
 “Then what actually happened and how come I could hear the truth earlier in your head?”
 Viana faced Elli, crushing the handcuffs in the process. “Daughter of Aletheia, rise for you have been  chosen to battle. Veritas and Aletheia have become one and wish to speak with you. However, as the spirit of the pseudologoi we can block your unharnessed power. Our sister, Apate, shall see to your destruction. Do not fear, for if Apate shall find you, your death will be quick but if Dolos lays eyes on you, he will toy and he will laugh until you can take no more.”
 Dropping her crochet needle and the rest of her equipment, Elli caught Viana with the best of her ability. Within less than a minute, the officers who were discussing their thoughts on the situation came in, guns drawn. Hoisting Viana back onto her chair, Elli exclaimed for peace.
 “She wasn’t lying earlier. She did murder those people, but it wasn’t her.” Elli shook her head. “She didn’t attack me, something came over her and then she collapsed. I have all reason to believe that something else is involved.”
 “Everything said in here is recorded, would you like to play back and listen to what she said?” The scrawny officer asked setting his gun back in his holster.
 “No.” Elli frowned. “I know what she said, what I can’t understand is what it meant.”
 --
 As usual, Elli entered the next view interrogation rooms. However, this time what she heard, felt, saw, and understood was that these people were all under an unnatural force and they were all aiming for her.
 Stepping out of his SUV, Agent Vas stretched and caught Elli as she flew into his arms. “Wow their, kiddo,” Agent Vas laughed. “I know I haven’t seen you for a month but you have to remember, I’m older than you and a six hour drive does something to an old man like me.”
 Elli tried to hold her tears but couldn’t. “Vas…” She muttered. “They’re back. Those voices. Those people. They’re making people murder to get my attention….” She gulped. “What do I do?”

No comments:

Post a Comment