Friday, January 16, 2015

Week Three: The Descendant: Expected and Unexpected Gifts

 If there was anything on Elli’s mind, getting ice cream wasn’t one of them but Agent Vas insisted they stop one last time before she turned on this imaginary GPS he had been talking about. According to Vas, demigods could find the camp they belonged to by a certain age or when their sense of direction blessed them to. All Elli knew was that when Vas told her that he had been researching about her, she felt more like a test subject than an actual human being. Then again, she wasn’t full mortal if she could turn on this GPS of hers.
 “Large Mediterranean Salted Caramel gelato for the princess.” Vas smiled brighter than he had all day. “And a Large Rocky Road gelato for the old man.”
 Elli laughed as Vas sat down across her. “You’re not even twenty five, you’re not old.” She smiled. “Stop saying that you are.”
 Vas shrugged. “Ay, at any rate that’s how I feel. Being an Agent isn’t exactly ‘clean’ when it comes to blood. It’s sad that I’m used to seeing dead bodies every day.” He shook his head. “And for that reason, I feel old.”
 A sigh escaped Elli’s lips. “Demigod huh…” She smirked. “That’s why you said don’t call you after I turned twelve, that’s when you found out about the signal flare.”
 Vas nodded. “There are many demigods out there. All we have to do is find them and I believe I’ll be able to help you.”
 “Do you think you’ll live in peace when I’m gone?” Elli’s smile was small.
 “Peace?”! Vas shook his head. “Elli, being here eating ice cream with you is what I call peace, why would I want to throw my only family, my precious little girl, my only sense of protection?”
 Elli blushed. “It’s a gelato and thanks, I always look forward to my birthdays with you. Even if you can’t guarantee a Christmas, an Easter, a Halloween, you know, any other holiday, you’ve never missed my birthday.” She smiled.
 Vas nodded. “I even work on my birthday, I know, I’m a workaholic but hey, don’t say the old man didn’t get you anything” He grinned as he took out a small box from his pocket.
 Elli’s eyes widen. The first present Vas had ever given here was a family, on her fifth birthday. From then on he was able to get a week vacation while he was a police officer but lately as an FBI agent he hasn’t been able to do such luxuries. When Elli turned ten he got her ears pierced since that’s what she had wanted and got her gold earrings. On her eleventh birthday, he got her a gold necklace and from then on he added a single bead of a different metal to the loop. A bronze bead for her twelve, copper for her thirteen, and now, she wondered what he would add.
 “Go ahead, kiddo.” Vas smiled. “Open it. There’s two presents inside.”
 Setting her cup down and wiping her face, Elli grinned. The box was small but she didn’t want any huge present from Vas, he had enough on his plate as was and getting Elli a huge present was never something that Elli wanted to give him as a burden. Unwrapping it carefully, Elli set the cover down and Vas stopped her.
 “Turn it over kiddo, don’t miss the little details.”
 Elli gave a small laugh as she lipped it over. “What type of metal is that?” Elli tilted her head, never seeing anything like it.
 “Celestial bronze.” He grinned. “It’s deadly to monsters.” He paused as she slipped it on and observed. “And demigods but I guess it doesn’t burn you guys like it does monsters.” He shrugged.
 “Were you testing that theory?” Ell frowned as she toyed with it.
 “Hey, my resources don’t say everything, okay?” He shrugged. “I got you a bead, that’s not the important accessory though.”
 Taking out the piece of paper, Elli unfolded it and read the message aloud. “Daughter from another mother, Elli, kiddo, my greatest blessing.” Elli paused to laugh. “Dad…” She shook her head.
 “What?” Vas shrugged innocently. “Can’t a man be emotionally expressive, we don’t have those weeks compared to women but we still have emotions you know.”
 Elli smirked and continued reading. “You are everything I could ask for, and even though I can’t provide you with a mother I can say that I don’t think we both need a nagging woman in our life.“
 Elli nodded. “Ain’t that right.”
 “I came across this when I was in New York, it caught my attention. I didn’t know why a piece of metal reminded me of you, half a piece, but somehow, through a miracle I found the other half in California, so, I got this done for you, I hope you like it.”
 Taking the celestial bronze bracelet in her hands and placed it on her wrist, Elli laughed again. “And again, by speculation, you have been saved.” She said as she put it on.
 Vas smile as she shrugged. “If you couldn’t wear it we could always paint over it with nail polish like you do with those nickel earrings.”
 Getting up to embrace him, Elli shook her head. “I don’t think something deadly would be stopped by some coat of nail polish, dad.”
 Glass exploding, Vas took Eli in his arm and shielded her. Behind him, stood a bull like creature standing with a humanized bottom half and a club in his hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment